Help The Noobie

Guest Eza

Ok I know my Xmas pressie is a Pentax K10D, Sigma lens and I think a tripod and a UV filter too.

So what do I do with it :)

I have a Kodak point and shoot thing.

I would love to get into photographing landscapes. Ill work with the lens I have now before getting anything bigger.

I would also love some tips on photographing my dogs (settings, shutter speeds etc).

Thank in advance

Eza

... So what do I do with it ...

First be glad you have such a great gift. It is a very very very good camera. (Did you choose it or was it picked for you?)

Next read the instruction book from start to finish. Try to pick up a basic book on photography. If possible join a local camera club in the new year, beginners are welcome, the courses they offer are the cheapest (generally free) and geared to explaining basic principles.

It's not much point taking advice on the settings to photograph dogs, or scenery, or architecture as one setting depends on another, which depends on another, and the light dictates which proportion to use them in. Not complicated, but until you pick up on the relationship between shutter speed, lens aperture, and 'ISO' you won't have control over depth of focus or how to catch a moving object the way you wish to. It is worth taking the time to learn, as they say "an ounce of theory is worth a pound of practice".

For photographing your dogs, keep the background clean. No garden hoses or dead pot-plants, no trees growing out of its head, no footpaths or skirting boards cutting it in half. Learn to use the tripod, feels awkward at first, persevere. You'll soon progress from 'automatic' to manual settings as you work out what effect they have.

The first thing I would do is read the manual, something a lot of people don't necessarily do. It will tell you how to change settings to get the photo you want - in focus background -v- blurred background, movement frozen or blurred. Take lots of photos and experiment.

Settings for taking photos of dogs can vary greatly. You might want to blur the background, many people do. A lot of the photos I take I want the background and have it fairly well in focus so depends what you want the photo to look like.

Also for action shots you have the option of freezing action by using a faster shutter speed but sometimes a slower shutter speed can be used for some creative effects.

Read the manual then buy a few photography mags. They helped me, I like the UK ones the best.

But the best thing you can do is enrol in one of your local community colleges run by your local council. I did this last month. I enrolled in the Advanced course as I already new basic operation. It taught me so much, including exposure compensation, all about f stops and manual exposure. It was only $132 and that was for 2 Saturday tutorials of 7 hours each (of course, breaking for morninng tea, lunch and afternoon tea). BYO lunch.

Thank you all.

OH has offered me the manual but Im not allowed the body and lens before Xmas lol, I might take him up on the offer.

Possum Corner, OHs photography friend picked it for me. Hes not local though so cant show me what to do.

Ill have a look for a photography course, I did it in highschool and senior and loved it.

Thanks again.