Marrow Bones

spikey

Just wondering if anyone knows of a source of marrow bones at a reasonable price NOR in Perth? Our local butchers have jacked up the price of marrowbones to $4.50 EACH - which is ridiculous for something that is essentially a "waste product" of the butchering process, and especially as their marrow bones seem to be shrinking in size! I know this may not seem that expensive, but when you're buying them once or twice a week, it adds up to a lot at the end of the year!

I can only give our girl the straight shaft part of the marrow bone, if she has the knuckle part (with the softer bone that she can eat almost straight away and attached fatty bits etc - even though I try to cut most of that off), she ends up with an horrendously upset stomach. Smaller bones (i.e. lamb shanks, off-cuts etc) are no good - she demolishes those in very short order, devouring the whole thing, and along comes the upset tummy again.

She has her other chewy toys, Kongs etc to help keep her occupied when we're at work, but the marrow bone is the best by far for this, and also at 8 years of age she has beautiful white teeth now she's getting regular marrow bones (not an option when we had two dogs, as they would have killed each other with food around), which is something no amount of dental toys or chews seemed to achieve!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, maybe that's just what we have to pay for them these days, but just thought I'd ask in case someone knows a cheaper source!

Thanks

My local butcher sells them for i think $3 i always ask for the biggest ones they have as i have a rotti :thumbsup:

Maybe try asking the coles butcher or woolies butcher etc if they can keep teh marrow bones when they are cuttin meat as they make dog bone bags and say you are willing to pay for them if they can be whole. no harm in asking.

i'm no good at geography so i cant help i'm in midlnad

You need to find yourself another local butcher!

Pets are big business, especially dogs.

I get marrow bones from one local butcher (in a shopping centre) for $2.50 and I ask they be cut into 4 so the dogs get an hour or so chewing out of each 1/4.

I often get lamb or sheep necks which there is usually a good sized bone in them, and also lambs/sheep knuckle bones - maybe an hours worth of chewing from 2 or 3 of those - and I get a bag for $2.

None of that helps you of course as I am south of the river - but honestly, shop around and consider kangaroo tails as well, I have heard they last a mighty chewer (from City Farmers?)

:offtopic:

Edited by Duncan+Dougal

I get my marrow bones for $1.50 ea ;)

You could always drive up to Geraldton :mad

Why don't you try to give your girl chuck bones instead, they probably won't be much cheaper but they will be easier on her digestion, no fat :mad

OT, but Rottegems I just love your siggie, oh how I would love a couple of those beautiful Rotties - I swear they will be my next dog!! Yours just look so gorgeous!!! :thumbsup:

I get my marrow bones for $1.50 ea ;)

You could always drive up to Geraldton :mad

Why don't you try to give your girl chuck bones instead, they probably won't be much cheaper but they will be easier on her digestion, no fat :eek:

OT, but Rottegems I just love your siggie, oh how I would love a couple of those beautiful Rotties - I swear they will be my next dog!! Yours just look so gorgeous!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks D+D,

It was quite a fluke of a shot actually. :(

The dogs were being a nuisance when I was trying to take a pic of one of them, so I put the nuisance ones in the back of the car :mad

We give Buffy roo tails, they're about 15cm long pieces, and they last her a good day. The meat is gone in about 5 minutes, but the tail must be really hard because she just chews and chews and chews. We did however put one in her crate the other day with her, and after about 1 1/2 hours we could not find any remains, so maybe she was hungry :thumbsup:

Our butcher charges us $1.50 for marrow bones, but maybe that's because we're such good customers. I think I spend every other day there!

I feed every type of bone there is except beef femurs! These bones are designed to hold a huge mass, and as such are stronger than dogs' teeth. Dogs can break their teeth chewing on beef femurs. By all means, feed them plenty of bones, but not 'marrow bones' as you could end up with a hefty dental bill.

I know a couple of place South of the River, but send me north and I'm useless!

ETA - Better Pets & Gardens sell 2kg bags of Roo Tails for $5

Hey Stacey - is that Better Pets & Gardens in Bibra Lake?

Thats the one.

I used to get them for Gypsy, but she kept swollowing chuncks of the bones and making herself sick. I get really big bones from the butcher in Success now for $3 per bone.

Edited by StaceyB

Try calling Kingsway -- I think they have a place in Northbridge (I use their Canning Vale office). They supply meat to restaurants. Also trade as Wing Hong. I used to be able to get a 10 kg box of marrow bones from them for $10. I'm sure they've jacked up the price . . . but I'd expect it's still below $2/kg. Being wholesalers, they like to sell bigger lots. They also sell chicken frames.

Also try phoning A&D Pet Food Connection. I used to get huge sheep/lamb necks from them for less thatn $1 ea . . . and their roo tail prices aren't bad 9250 1030.