Puppy Teething/ Bleeding/ Bad Breath

StaffordsYo!

Hello all!

I have a 5 month old Stafford pup and she's currently in the process of teething... I've read through most of the threads here on teething/ bleeding and still have some questions... hope you can help!! PLEASE?!?!?!? :)

She's teething and her gums are bleeding when she's lost a tooth etc and that doesn't concern me as much as the fact that she's got really bad breath!!!! When she's coming up for a lick and stuff, or even when she yawns - my goodness me.... I really have to push her away!

We reckon it might be because she's been bleeding in her mouth and she doesn't gargle (hehe) so the blood hangs around for a bit. I've tried rinsing her mouth out but it doesn't work... and she's always got access to water to drink.

What do you reckon I should do? Take her to the vet for a dental checkup? Brush her teeth? Will giving her bones etc help clean her teeth etc, or should I get a toothbrush and toothpaste for her?

Would appreciate all help please guys!! And thanks in advance for all comments, much appreciated! And Bodhi, my pup thanks you too!

Cheers

StaffordsYo!

Open her mouth up and have a good look at the back of her mouth, check her molars and her pre molars and make sure there isn't a rotten one there, also check that there isn't a piece of bone jammed anywhere in the mouth.

They normally smell a bit but it's nothing quite as bad as what you are saying. Give her a good piece of lamb flap and a couple fo chicken wings for tea and see how she looks and smells in the morning.

Book a vet appointment for tomorrow and get her checked out anyway. There are other problems that can contribute to bad breath.

Definately sounds like something is not quite right. The blood doesnt really "hang around" saliva basically gets rid of that pretty quickly. Usually bad smells come from infection or things rotting away. The normal bad smell in teething is from the bacteria breaking down old flesh not the blood itself, its not really that strong and as Warley suggested lamb flaps, chicken wings or something nice tasty and chewy should clear that up.

You should get the pup checked out by a vet.

Also if you are feeding bones and stuff make sure the pup doesnt bury them. Mine have a tendency to occasionally hide their food, dig it up a few days later chew on the rotting meat (without me noticing of course) that makes their breath smell REALLY bad.

Also for slight breath probs add fresh parsley to her diet, its known for its breath freshening abilities

Banjo broke a baby tooth which turned brown and stunk!!! What a relief when it fell out. I'd take your pup to the Vet to be safe. Teething pups need raw meaty bones everyday.

Heya!!

Thanks for all the great comments, really appreciate them!

In reply: she was wormed just 2 days ago - she's on Interceptor and wormed once a month. Just curious - what might worming have to do with bad breath?

Also, yeah, I will be booking her into the vet ASAP to have it checked out and will have a look at her teeth again just to make sure everything is ok. It's quite hard with a wiggly pup though! :laugh:

If she's teething though is it ok to give her chook wings? I've been just giving her necks but thought wings might be too 'tough' for her. I have some in the freezer though so she might appreciate that especially because it's nice and cold!

Thanks again guys, I really, really appreciate your help.

Will update as soon as we get home from the vets!

Cheers

Sufen

Staffords:

In reply: she was wormed just 2 days ago - she's on Interceptor and wormed once a month. Just curious - what might worming have to do with bad breath?

Interceptor or Interceptor Spectrum Staffords??

Reason I asked was that someone once told me that dogs with a worm burden tend to have foul breath. Just thought I'd eliminate that as a possible cause.

Did you see anything odd in her mouth?

No digging up of putrid old bones?

No eating duck/ roo/ possum/ other poo in the backyard

My dog went to the vet for something else entirely and he found part of an old stick across the roof of his mouth- he gave no sign whatsoever it was there, but had it stayed long enough, I'm sure it would have smelled.

Hey hey!

Poodlefan: she's on interceptor spectrum at the moment. Fingers crossed she doesn't have worms!

Also... I finally caught her in the middle of her nap to have a jolly good look at her mouth and I think I've found the culprit!

She's got a back molar that's already newly grown but the old one is still there and turning brown! I didn't get too close to have a sniff of it though.. (don't think my nose would fit in her mouth! hehe) Eek... I've tried wiggling it out but while it's quite wiggly, it looks like it's going to take a lot more hard wiggling to get it out! I'm going to give her a nice cold chicken wing tomorrow and see what happens with that molar.

Thankfully she doesn't like eating poo like her brother Jake who relishes cat poo regularly!

I'll still be taking her to the vet though just for a quick check up and better look and maybe a teeth clean too!

THANKS ladies and gentlemen... I really appreciate your sage advice! Promise to get some pics up here ... just gotta load some on photobucket!

Cheers

StaffordsYo!