Swollen Vagina In 12 Month Old Bitch

MissMolly

My litte girl finished her first season a week ago, and i have noticed that her teats seem slighty larger then before her season and while bathing her yesterday i could feel that her vagina is larger then what i asssume it should be, she has been cleaning quite a lot, but she shows no other signs of not been well, she is eating normally and is running around, and looks like her normal happy self.

Would love any advice on what it could be.. and does pyometra happen in young dogs?

Cathy

Now that she has had her season she is sexually mature - so her teats and vagina will be bigger - like when we go through puberty :banghead:

I was surprised when my vet asked me if my previous dog had had puppies, she was entire but never had puppies. He thought she had because her teats and vagina were bigger than a dog that had been desexed before its first season. The same has happened to a few DOLers I know.

Of course if you are in doubt take her to the vet.

It can take a couple of weeks after a season for everything to return to normal, she could also have a phantom preganancy and come into milk later on.

Are you going to have her desexed?

Hi Pax,

I am not having her desexed at this stage, i am showing her, she is my first show girl and my first undesexed girl, my other girl who i don't show is desexed so i am new to all this coming into season stuff...

Cathy

Now that she has had her season she is sexually mature - so her teats and vagina will be bigger - like when we go through puberty :banghead:

I was surprised when my vet asked me if my previous dog had had puppies, she was entire but never had puppies. He thought she had because her teats and vagina were bigger than a dog that had been desexed before its first season. The same has happened to a few DOLers I know.

Of course if you are in doubt take her to the vet.

Hi Kavik,

This is what it must likely is, i just worry about my girls, hubby says i worry a little to much and i must say at times i do, but if she starts to look unwell straight off to the vets it will be..

Cathy