Good Photography Book?

t(AD)pole

• 2 weeks later...
So what camera did you end up with??

Sorry, missed this.

I got the canon. Well my christmas present was permission to use it so its not actually mine.

It was decided that even though it was more expensive outright we will be able to share lenses with my brother and also canon has a bigger range of lenses than pentax.

Thanks for the tips about the book, its great!

This maybe of some help,whilst at uni completing my bach of photography some of the books we used were and still are very helpful.

if anyone hasnt read any of Michael langfords books get out now and get some.

he has basic photography, advanced photography and many more..I suggest any budding photo maniac to check them out as they were our set text for the degree.

Also there is one book I would die without...it is called photoshop restoration and retouching by katrin eismann...this is my bible ..I have used this book to fully restore very old photos for a museum. its worth a look if anyone is into fixing photos and doing alot of advanced photoshopping.

B

Thanks for starting this post Tadpole - I just came in here to ask about a photography book and I found your post! How have you found the book now that you have it? Has it been useful?

I was thinking about getting a book on Digital SLR photography, but there doesn't seem to be many good ones out there that are only on DSLR. I had a read about Understanding Exposure on the internet and it covers film and digital, so Tadpole, how have you found it in relation to the DSLR?

Does anyone have any DSLR only photography book recommendations too?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Purple Julie,

I have found Understanding Exposure really useful and I've learnt some great tips about photography from it. The book is for SLR and DSLR but I still found it useful. It has info about what settings to use when etc. and some good examples in the book. I really enjoyed it and recommend it. :thumbsup:

I don't think you need to find a book that is specifically dslr based. Photographic principles are pretty much the same no matter which medium you shoot. It's all about the light :shrug:

If you're thinking along the lines of "how do I get the most from my digital photography" rather than camera specific, check out Scott Kelby's offerings on photoshop and lightroom. Also How to Wow for Photography by Jack Davies & Ben Willmore is a great resource. I have to admit I've had this book for ages and only really dabbled with a few things, but it is still a resource I pull out for certain things. And I second Katrin Eismann's offerings if you're really into photoshopping stuff.

If you are looking for photography books - the ones in this thread will apply to film or digital equally well and are some of the best books to start with. HTH