Gsd Limping

cpudds

Riverstar

Sorry to hear about your 11 months old GSD and the beginning of arthritis in his elbows....

I have just been through the trauma of having my GSD puppy injure his right knee when he slipped on wet concrete.... GSD Puppies !!! The first 12 months is sheer hell. Once they get those important A [ Hips] and Z [elbows] stamps you can relax. So much can go wrong so quickly... rough play... twists and turns.... over-exercise.... rapid growth...

However, during the initial treatment of my puppy's injury, the Vet gave him a course of Cartrophen injections. It was explained to me that cartrophen not only supplies fluid to arthritic joints but will also strenthen damaged ligaments.

Maybe Cartrophen plus Joint Guard could help your puppy? My puppy has been given the All Clear which is a great relief.

Tarmons

Here is Jasmines vet report -

"On exam under sedation - there was no real cranial movement in her stifle.

On manipulation of her hips there was evidence of restriction in movement/angulation.

Xrays were taken of her hips and stifles.

No fractures or chips were evident on xrays.

On the xrays of her hips - there were slight changes to femoral head shape and ability to sit on the acetabulum - which will be important to monitor as she gets older. She is too young to score her hips.

At this stage to treat her stifle injury as a soft tissue trama.

Rimadyl 100mg chews - .25 tablet morning and evening...."

Any advise or experience with type of report would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RiverStar - hope yours mends himself quickly as well!

Tarmon - are all these products you described, prescribed by the vets? I will discuss these with the vet this coming Friday.

Thanks.

Just so you know there is a link in the gsd thread about exercise for a gsd pup UNDER 12 months

http://www.gsdcv.org.au/articles/breed/puppy_exercise.htm

Check it out. They would know what they are talking about :laugh:

update?

. Following this we will be really phasing out her tough play and keeping walks to a maximum of 30 monutes once she has recovered from her soft tissue injury.

No too sure how old your puppy is but I always advise my puppy buyers that they should not be doing formal walks until the dog is mature as it places too much stress on developing bones. I am not saying an occasional wander down to the shop is not allowed but no formal walks in my small breed until at least 7-9mths and even then they should start out small and keep off hard surfaces. Personally if I owned a GSD I very much doubt I would be walking that pup at all until 9mths plus and then starting at 15 min on soft surfaces and working up. Unless your puppy is over 12mths I think 30 minutes is a lot of exercise. They generally get enough exercise playing and of course during outings where they are socialized