Beginners Herding For City Dogs In Brisbane

Hi - I am hoping some DOL'ers can give me contacts to find out how to go about getting my Rough Collie female a go at herding?

She has had no herding training - but does a great job herding up anything and everything she gets near. So I would like to give her a go at the real thing (before committing to weeks of classes).

Does anyone know of somewhere southside of Brisbane were

a) we can have a trial run

b) can continue with classes if she likes it

c) they are open to "city dogs"

Can you please also explain in simple terms what the classes would involve?

I can't find anything on the net.....

Many thanks

Kall

Hi Kall, if you are interested Fidelis Border Collies on here has herding training at her place at Chambers Flat which we go to. She has all sorts of dogs from BC's to kelpies, Corgis & even our GSD & Sheltie are having lessons & competing in ANKC herding trials. Send her a PM & she will be able to tell you more. :rolleyes:

Contact Tracey from Fidelis there is a herding workshop coming up soon with Colin Webster.

It is a good introduction to herding and learning to handle your dog and read sheep.

Colins method is very gentle on both dogs and sheep.

Contact Tracey from Fidelis there is a herding workshop coming up soon with Colin Webster.

It is a good introduction to herding and learning to handle your dog and read sheep.

I can second this. Tracey is really good and Colin has a wealth of experience and they really do work WITH you and your dogs to get a great result. I did the last workshop with Colin and it was a really worth while weekend.

ETA: Eric at the Mt Gravatt show grounds is really good as well, he does have a different method to Colin which is a little harder on the dogs physically (NOT cruel or harsh) and has similar thoughts, but it just depends on how you want to work your dogs. My boy responded really well to Colin, whereas my girl is probably better suited with Erics methods as she is a little hard headed.

Edited by Reddii

I can second this. Tracey is really good and Colin has a wealth of experience and they really do work WITH you and your dogs to get a great result. I did the last workshop with Colin and it was a really worth while weekend.

ETA: Eric at the Mt Gravatt show grounds is really good as well, he does have a different method to Colin which is a little harder on the dogs physically (NOT cruel or harsh) and has similar thoughts, but it just depends on how you want to work your dogs. My boy responded really well to Colin, whereas my girl is probably better suited with Erics methods as she is a little hard headed.

Duh, I've just worked out who you are Tony :) .

BTW, I agree with everyone about Colins seminar, it would be a great way to start!

Thanks everyone. We went to Traceys for a try out last night. It was very good, and you are right - she is gentle on both dog and handler.

I did feel very out of place though - the only one there who had CLEARLY never even been close to a sheep before - let alone be able to "pat" one.

City slicker of the highest order........ :)

For anyone thinking of giving it a go - but is a bit nervous because you are going to look like a complete twit - having never been anywhere near herding in your life - Tracey is excellent and makes you feel very welcome.

Regards

Kall

Thanks everyone. We went to Traceys for a try out last night. It was very good, and you are right - she is gentle on both dog and handler.

I did feel very out of place though - the only one there who had CLEARLY never even been close to a sheep before - let alone be able to "pat" one.

City slicker of the highest order........ :thumbsup:

For anyone thinking of giving it a go - but is a bit nervous because you are going to look like a complete twit - having never been anywhere near herding in your life - Tracey is excellent and makes you feel very welcome.

Regards

Kall

Glad you enjoyed your first taste, will be Interesting to see if she remembers anything Next week. I was impressed with her when she first went out most novice dogs just go straight in on the sheep and she went to the outside and arced around naturally, so i hope she keeps that up.

Tracey