Canine Cough

swain

Hi everyone,

My pom has got Canine cough after being vaccinated against it. He has now had it for 4 weeks. Is this normal? He has had two lots of antibiotics and is also having cough syrup. He was borded at a kennels (he was in isolation) last week and they said he was better, but since he's been home he is hacking again and coughing up clear liquid. Could he be alergic to something at home? Seems strange he was better at the kennels........

Any help would be appreciated. :laugh:

That does sound strange. I'm pretty sure the illness only lasts 10 days or so. The symptoms still sound like kennel cough rather than an allergy though. You might be the 1 in a million person who's dogs get kennel cough twice! He could have been reinfected, in theory, by another strain of kennel cough.

I would recommend complete rest to get his immune system back up to speed.

Hope he gets better soon.

bp

At the kennels he most likely remand more quiet & relaxed.

Vaccination doesnt mean they cant get it ,the vacc is like the human vacc stops the influenza but not so much the basic cold.

I have had a dog with it for 4 weeks but its a case by case thing,

If your concerned go back to the vet ..

I have to ask did the kennel board the dog even though it had canine cough??

Thanks everyone for the replies.

He is two years old, but i'm not sure if because he is such a small dog (2.5KG) that it takes it's toll more???? The kennel did take him with the cough but he stays in with the cats, apparently cats can't get it. They seemed happy to take him.

Thanks for the honey idea, i'd rather give him that than the cough syrup all the time.

My other two dogs haven't got it yet............is it only a matter of time? or would they have had it by now?

Thanks again!!!!