Allergic To Grass?

Hi everyone,

Picked up my new best mate last Saturday (Amstaff) and have got a problem. He is allergic to the square patch of grass in our back yard. I'm pretty sure of it, as soon as he runs on the grass, or lays on it, he starts scratching. When we bring him inside the house I can see the redness on his skin and feel the heat coming off it.

The patch is about 10ft x 10ft but I dont know what the actual grass is, and I am considering having it removed entirely and replaced with a more dog friendly grass if that will solve my poor little mates woes.

I'm not a gardener so I really have no idea what grass we have in the yard, but if anyone knows off hand a dog friendly grass (if there is such a thing) please let me know, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Has the grass been fertilized or treated with anything?

Are there any ants in it?

Both of these can cause irritation.

My Koolie, Hope is allergic to pollinating/seeding grass and needs to avoid walking through or lying in it during that time, but is fine with grass at other times.

I hear artificial grass works quite well in small doggy areas...

I went today and bought a bottle of Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo and Evening Primrose Oil Coat Conditioning Spray from Lynda & Archie @ Groomers products. Two of the nicest people you would want to meet. Tomorrow being 41c in Melbourne, its a good time to wash the boy and hopefully give him some relief from the itching.

Will make some inquiries into getting the lawn changed.

Thanks all.