Ecollar Legislation

Hi,

After much thought and discussiOn we decided to go down the route of the ECollar for one of our dogs.

I was told that we needed vet authority to be able to purchase one (we are in NSW).

Does anyone know what this involves? We have a vet appointment on Friday anyway but the vet has never been requested this before and would like to see a copy of the legislation and details on the collar (he also wanted to know what other vets tend to write :laugh: )

Can I get a copy of the legislation online?

This dog has already injured himself a couple of times by trying to throw himself at a barbed wire fence (hence the vet appointment on Friday)

Studebaker, I'm pretty sure it's quoted in a previous topic called Dog aggression/??? which is back a few pages. It's a long thread and I can't remember what page it was on.

It did mention that a training organisation can also sign you off as ecollar friendly.

Good luck.

Here is the link off Steve's page:

http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=innotekrt.html

Would recommend a session with Steve to learn how to use it if you can achieve this.

His page doesn't say anything about vet authority - I thought that was for anti-bark collars....?

Anyhow, I'm sure a phone call to Steve will answer your questions and seeing as you are both in NSW that should make things easier.

In Victoria, e-collars are permitted under "restricted use". This involves having the Vet examine your dog for health and fitness sufficient enough to have an e-collar stimulation used, as well as working under the supervision and/or instruction of a qualified dog trainer. Words to that effect anyway.

I thought I read/heard that use of e-collars in NSW were not allowed???? Don't quote me on this though ..... I'm ensconced in Vic Dog Laws at the moment, and haven't had the time to focus on the precise laws for other States.