Lime

PooMother

Hi

I have been reading the threads about the fleas and what everyone uses. At present I am having to treat with Capstar every few days, advantage. I have bought permoxin but havent used it yet, can it be used on pups under 5 months? With the lime although I dont get biten by fleas outside they have to be there as the pups have fleas, is the lime poisonous to pups and how much should I put around the back garden or should I do the whole garden even though they only access back at the moment?

Thanks

Here is what I reccomend for getting rid of fleas - this works if you do everything listed.

1. Frontline every 2 weeks. - as any hair that fall off your dog still have the insecticide on them ,These hairs act as an indirect method of killing and sterilising adults, while stopping immature fleas from growing into egg laying adults.

2. put all bedding in full sunlight - sunlight will kill eggs etc if you wash bedding must be hot at least 60C and tumble dryed on the highest setting.

3.Treat your house inside and out use a product that has a residual effect.

OUTSIDE - KO tablets are great you can get them HERE do not put on the dogs

INSIDE - Bomb the house ALL rooms even if there is no carpet, then repeat again in around 3 weeks to get the life stages protected the first bombing.

4.block off all access to underneath the house.

Only bath as necessary not every couple of days as the frontline will take another 24hrs to spread again leaving a window for reinfestation.

ETA - all pets must be treated at the same time YES even the cat.

Edited by sheree_e4

Catsmother do you mean lime as in limil that comes in the 20/40 kg bags ? We had used limil extensively for controlling water quality and PH. I would say it could be very dangerous if wrong amounts applied or incorrect application used. We had to use face masks to stop inhalation. I also used to put a thin coating over the top surface of our Well at the time to clear up the water that was used for showers and washing etc. not drinking and cooking though. C.S.R.I.O could possibly have good technical data that maywell help better. I do know some people have applied it to their garden to sweeten up acidic soil especially where pine bark has been applied.

Be interesting to here others views.

Cheers Chris

catsmother - Permoxin on dogs over 3 months of age is perfectly safe. The advantage of Permoxin over something like KO tabs is that you CAN use Permoxin on your puppy as well as the bedding and the areas that he/she lies in or frequents.

If you are religiously using Capstar in conjunction with Advantage then you should be seeing a reduction in flea numbers. I would suggest that you use your Advantage fortnightly for a period to try to get on top of the flea life cycle - it roughly takes about 14days from start to finish.

Rather than spread lime around I would be inclined to get a professional company out to spray your yard.

Consistency & compliance are the key - so if you have other pets then you MUST be treating them for fleas also or you are going to have them reinfesting each other.

Make your Permoxin up as on the packaging - 10mls to 400mls water (I use a spray bottle) and spray your pup down - avoiding the eyes/face. Its safe to use everyday if necessary. I would also spray all bedding. Be aware that this product is toxic to cats though so be careful if you do have cats.

Good luck - you sound like you are on the right track - keep it up!

Hi Dogcop

Thanks for your reply

Im not sure which lime Ive jsut read somewhere on here that peple have used lime over their garden to stop fleas. Imnot getting any fleas on me when I walk outside but they have to be there otehrwise the dogs wouldnt have any on them would they?

AS for treating inside we are fully carpeted ugh and I was going to flea bomb the whole house and then thought ok I want to shampoo the carpets so do I bomb then shampoo which I know can bring on fleas hatch eggs etc and then bomb again, or shampoo then bomb gawd what to do.

I just want to treat everything the issue I have is the pups still have fleas the cats dont we dont get bitten inside or outside, all animals are treated at the same time but no I dont use Frontline as I think it is crap but thats just my opinion and choice, I prefer advantage or advocate and prior to getting the pups had much better results with it (show cats and they always came home with fleas when I was using frontline but changed to advocate and no probs especially at Ag shows)

Catsmother do you mean lime as in limil that comes in the 20/40 kg bags ? We had used limil extensively for controlling water quality and PH. I would say it could be very dangerous if wrong amounts applied or incorrect application used. We had to use face masks to stop inhalation. I also used to put a thin coating over the top surface of our Well at the time to clear up the water that was used for showers and washing etc. not drinking and cooking though. C.S.R.I.O could possibly have good technical data that maywell help better. I do know some people have applied it to their garden to sweeten up acidic soil especially where pine bark has been applied.

Be interesting to here others views.

Cheers Chris

Hi Georgie Boy

THanks for your reply appreciate it

I bought the permoxin but havent used it yet. Have treated all animals at the same time. Question - if I treat the older pup with permoxin, the fact that he comes inside and plays with cats/kittens would that be toxic to them then? Or is it only toxic in its wet form ie until it is dry on the pup?

catsmother - Permoxin on dogs over 3 months of age is perfectly safe. The advantage of Permoxin over something like KO tabs is that you CAN use Permoxin on your puppy as well as the bedding and the areas that he/she lies in or frequents.

If you are religiously using Capstar in conjunction with Advantage then you should be seeing a reduction in flea numbers. I would suggest that you use your Advantage fortnightly for a period to try to get on top of the flea life cycle - it roughly takes about 14days from start to finish.

Rather than spread lime around I would be inclined to get a professional company out to spray your yard.

Consistency & compliance are the key - so if you have other pets then you MUST be treating them for fleas also or you are going to have them reinfesting each other.

Make your Permoxin up as on the packaging - 10mls to 400mls water (I use a spray bottle) and spray your pup down - avoiding the eyes/face. Its safe to use everyday if necessary. I would also spray all bedding. Be aware that this product is toxic to cats though so be careful if you do have cats.

Good luck - you sound like you are on the right track - keep it up!

Hi

THanks for your reply

I wash and dry bedding in hot water and dryer, dont use frontline but advantage or advocate along with Capstar. Havent washed pups for 2 weeks.

Just wondering about shampooing before bombing or after? Carpets need to be cleaned as they ahvent been done for awhile but not sure which order to do it in.

Lowset house so going to get someone in to spray

Here is what I reccomend for getting rid of fleas - this works if you do everything listed.

1. Frontline every 2 weeks. - as any hair that fall off your dog still have the insecticide on them ,These hairs act as an indirect method of killing and sterilising adults, while stopping immature fleas from growing into egg laying adults.

2. put all bedding in full sunlight - sunlight will kill eggs etc if you wash bedding must be hot at least 60C and tumble dryed on the highest setting.

3.Treat your house inside and out use a product that has a residual effect.

OUTSIDE - KO tablets are great you can get them HERE do not put on the dogs

INSIDE - Bomb the house ALL rooms even if there is no carpet, then repeat again in around 3 weeks to get the life stages protected the first bombing.

4.block off all access to underneath the house.

Only bath as necessary not every couple of days as the frontline will take another 24hrs to spread again leaving a window for reinfestation.

ETA - all pets must be treated at the same time YES even the cat.

Hi Georgie Boy

I bought the permoxin but havent used it yet. Have treated all animals at the same time. Question - if I treat the older pup with permoxin, the fact that he comes inside and plays with cats/kittens would that be toxic to them then? Or is it only toxic in its wet form ie until it is dry on the pup?

To be honest - if you have a pup that comes inside and plays with the cats & kittens - I wouldn't use the Permoxin. I have used it on my dogs before who play with my cats with no ill effects but its better to be safe than sorry and it is likely that one or more of your cats might be more sensitive than others. Once the Permoxin is dry it is usually ok but then if the cats lick the dogs then they are going to ingest the Permoxin which is going to be toxic. I would simply not use it on your dogs in your situation. Use it on their bedding if that is away from your cats but I would avoid your dogs.

Also as far as bombing your house goes - I think they are a waste of time & money. As I said before - I would be more inclined to have a professional come & spray. My reason is that those DIY bombs are hardly cheap and the area you want to spray is on the floor yet the spray goes UP in the air and then slowly floats down to the floor. Goodness only knows exactly how much is getting where it is supposed to. At least with a professional - they spray directly down. Does that make sense??

Good luck with it.

I personally would get the carpet STEAM cleaned.

The larvae can be dealt with by having the carpets professionally steam-cleaned (the steam will kill every stage of flea except eggs) Alternatively, you can shampoo the carpet with insecticidal carpet shampoo or have a pest control professional apply an infrared heat treatment to the carpet, which kills all stages of flea.

If you cannot get the infrared heat treatment done I would then bomb 3 weeks after them being cleaned.

Make sure All pets are treated on the day of cleaning.

Yes makes perfect sense when someone else says it lol knew that just didnt THINK about it thank you

Hi Georgie Boy

To be honest - if you have a pup that comes inside and plays with the cats & kittens - I wouldn't use the Permoxin. I have used it on my dogs before who play with my cats with no ill effects but its better to be safe than sorry and it is likely that one or more of your cats might be more sensitive than others. Once the Permoxin is dry it is usually ok but then if the cats lick the dogs then they are going to ingest the Permoxin which is going to be toxic. I would simply not use it on your dogs in your situation. Use it on their bedding if that is away from your cats but I would avoid your dogs.

Also as far as bombing your house goes - I think they are a waste of time & money. As I said before - I would be more inclined to have a professional come & spray. My reason is that those DIY bombs are hardly cheap and the area you want to spray is on the floor yet the spray goes UP in the air and then slowly floats down to the floor. Goodness only knows exactly how much is getting where it is supposed to. At least with a professional - they spray directly down. Does that make sense??

Good luck with it.

Ok will see if I can find someone who does it thanks

I personally would get the carpet STEAM cleaned.

The larvae can be dealt with by having the carpets professionally steam-cleaned (the steam will kill every stage of flea except eggs) Alternatively, you can shampoo the carpet with insecticidal carpet shampoo or have a pest control professional apply an infrared heat treatment to the carpet, which kills all stages of flea.

If you cannot get the infrared heat treatment done I would then bomb 3 weeks after them being cleaned.

Make sure All pets are treated on the day of cleaning.