Taking Photo's Without The Flash Going Off

wagsalot

What camera are you using? That will help a lot in how to provide tips.

In general, you'll want to slow your shutter, raise your ISO and open your aperture. If you camera allows you to do those things.

Each has its downside:

- bumping the ISO is going to give you noisier/grainier images, especially in any shadows. If you are shooting a Canon dslr from the 350 onwards, you'll be fine at 400 and 800...if you have the 20D or higher she'll do good work even at 1600 as long as you expose properly.

- slowing the shutter can give you blur for things that are not stationary or if you move

- opening the aperture will give you a smaller depth of field...this means that things behind and in front of where you focus will be softer. Not a bad thing, you just need to make sure to get the focus point where you want it. If you are shooting a compact, this isn't a terrible thing to cope with as they usually have a pretty good DOF even when wide open. Note that if you use your zoom, your aperture will automatically get smaller (darker images), so avoid it if possible. Better to try to properly expose and crop than zoom and get something that is too dark.

Edited by kja

400 ISO is for outdoor where there is plenty of light or slightly overcast (I use that all the time its as low as I'll go) - go at the very least 800 probably higher better if possible. Otherwise kja has set out the steps if you can adjust the camera. Only thing is that around 1600 ISO you may get grain in the image if it is still under exposed.

If you arent confident with the full manual put it on shutter speed priority and try taking pics on 1/60 or 1/125 and the camera will adjust the aperture itself (tey you only need change around the ISO and speed instead of three settings).

If possible have the camera on a tripod it will lessen the blur as the lower the shutter speed the more chance of camera movement as the photo is taken. Don't go too low on the shutter 1/60th or higher under that it gets very hard to hold still. Most little old point and shoots from the film days took pics on 1/125th (for a comparision).

Practice before the day inside your house on the various settings - its not the same but you will know how to change settings instead of trying to work it out on the day in low light conditions.

Ok I just had a bit of a fiddle. I took some photo's in our study with the light dimmed down. I put the camera on Av mode. ISO 800 and Aperture 4.0 and I got this - Im happy its clear, especially as I was mucking around and doing one handed shots

Do I need to change white balance at all

post-4872-1200305077_thumb.jpg

Edited by wagsalot

I personally don't like the white balance in this shot. I assume you shoot RAW (it will really help for what you are trying to do), so it's easy enough to make it correct - try the auto adjust settings in your software or use the eye dropper to click in various areas of the frame until it looks more natural.

You might want to try setting your camera in Tv mode to ensure no camera shake.

This shot also looks underexposed by about a stop. Test out cranking the ISO up again. It can't hurt and if you don't like it, don't use it :laugh: I use the full range of my ISO on both my 20D and 40D as it is one more tool in the arsenal and Canon has worked very hard to make it all usable - the trick is to make sure to hit the exposure :rofl: The 350 is a little rougher on noise, but I have several friends who routinely shoot bands and receptions at 1600, so it will work. And a little grain can look good, especially in black and white!