Transporting A Puppy Safely By Car

aussiebull

Hi! I'm new to this forum.

We are picking our Aussie Bulldog puppy up on Saturday when he is 8 weeks old and I need some advice about the best way to get him home in the car. The journey is around an hour and a half. When we brought our last dog home I just had him on my lap whilst my husband drove, but that was a long time ago and in the U.K. where this was allowed. We wanted to crate train our puppy, but had planned on getting a large crate and partitioning it so that it could continue to be his bed when he grows up. This crate would be too large to fit in our car. Our car is quite small so I worry about how I would get any crate in, but what are the alternatives? Is an 8 week old puppy old enough to have a doggy seatbelt? He is quite a chunky puppy (he’s a gorgeous fat lump very much like a British Bulldog,maybe a touch bigger). Any advice is appreciated.

A good car harness should be fine - I have my collie pup in the car with a harness from 9 weeks and I'm sure he's less bulky than your pup :) Blackdog.net.au have good ones.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to find a harness small enough? My beagle pup managed to wriggle her way out of her harness even when it was adjusted to the smallest possible size.

The Reject Shop sells plastic carrier type crates for $25. They come in 2 sizes. You could get one of them for the journey?

I was going to suggest a small pet carrier too. Probably the safest way for a puppy to travel. You can get a cheap small crate and then upgrade to a bigger one at a later stage.

If you line the crate with blankets that have the scent of the original litter/mother on it, then he should feel more comfortable.

Small pet carrier is the wy to go!

Check with your local vet. Ours will lend them out if theirs are not in use for transportation of puppies, saves you buying one. I have heard some vets rent them out for a small fee too.

Thanks for all your replies.

I have bought a harness that can be used as a car restraint. It is adjustable so can be made quite small and Floyd is a pretty chunky boy. I think i'll phone my vet tomorrow to see what they think. I will be taking a blanket to rub on his mother to make the journey and his 1st night easier. $25 sounds really good for a pet carrier so I will definately check that out.