Daily Walks

CBL

Hi guys, I am having trouble with Patch on his daily walk and am wondering if I am being too hard on him.

When we first got him, walking was hard as he was very unsure, then he gained confidence and he was great, however now, he just wants to sniff and pee, and when I don't let him have his own way he stops dead. refusing to budge. I don't want to hurt him by dragging him but I also don't want him to get his own way all the time. Neither of us are enjoying it anymore.

Yesterday a walk around the block that should take us 20 mins took us nearly 40 mins. Today he refused to budge so we turned around and came home only 5 or 10 mins into the walk.

I should also say, if we go to the beach or the local off leash park (though he isn't offleash) he is great, it is just his daily walk. Do I just let him enjoy it and sniff to his hearts content or should I go back to basics and get him to obey me regardless? Of course I want him to enjoy it AND do what he is told!

Hi guys, I am having trouble with Patch on his daily walk and am wondering if I am being too hard on him.

When we first got him, walking was hard as he was very unsure, then he gained confidence and he was great, however now, he just wants to sniff and pee, and when I don't let him have his own way he stops dead. refusing to budge. I don't want to hurt him by dragging him but I also don't want him to get his own way all the time. Neither of us are enjoying it anymore.

Yesterday a walk around the block that should take us 20 mins took us nearly 40 mins. Today he refused to budge so we turned around and came home only 5 or 10 mins into the walk.

I should also say, if we go to the beach or the local off leash park (though he isn't offleash) he is great, it is just his daily walk. Do I just let him enjoy it and sniff to his hearts content or should I go back to basics and get him to obey me regardless? Of course I want him to enjoy it AND do what he is told!

First thing to check is that there is nothing wrong with Patch - by the sounds of it you have this one covered - my little man stopped liking his walks and it turned out he had an injury.

Next I guess it is really up to you - if you are happy to have him sniff then let him go for it. If not then I think you have two options - first is just keep walking, he'll soon get the message that unless you let him know he is allowed to stop he doesn't stop (my boy still tries it on at 14 months, but he is learning slowly). The second option is to make whatever you have more exciting - this works better with my boy - have his favourite squeaky toy with you and use that to distract him from whatever he finds interesting.

I think there is a difference between having a look around when out on a walk and ruling the walk which is what your boy sounds like he is doing.

Just another thought - if he stops to sniff and won't walk further just take him home, no walk, no fun. Again - will soon get the message.

Hope this helps. It's just my experience with two young pups, not a qualified opinion.

Cheers.

Tony

First thing to check is that there is nothing wrong with Patch - by the sounds of it you have this one covered - my little man stopped liking his walks and it turned out he had an injury.

Next I guess it is really up to you - if you are happy to have him sniff then let him go for it. If not then I think you have two options - first is just keep walking, he'll soon get the message that unless you let him know he is allowed to stop he doesn't stop (my boy still tries it on at 14 months, but he is learning slowly). The second option is to make whatever you have more exciting - this works better with my boy - have his favourite squeaky toy with you and use that to distract him from whatever he finds interesting.

I think there is a difference between having a look around when out on a walk and ruling the walk which is what your boy sounds like he is doing.

Just another thought - if he stops to sniff and won't walk further just take him home, no walk, no fun. Again - will soon get the message.

Hope this helps. It's just my experience with two young pups, not a qualified opinion.

Cheers.

Tony

Thanks Tony - he is injury-free - he can still do his 2 minute zoomies ok :laugh:

We are going to the offleash park later this evening (unless a predicted storm comes in) so I will see how he goes then but I will try your suggestions as well. Thanks :p

Hi CBL

When he refuses to follow on the walk, what do you do? Do you go mad at him? Do you get tense and angry inside? If so then you are creating avoidance. When he refuses to walk, honestly you must show leadership and just walk. You need to project calm and relaxed body language. He will get the picture that he must walk. Don't talk to him while resisiting, as if you try to encourage him with calming voice you could be reinforcing his behaviour/state of mind at that moment. Only encourage him when the resistance stops and he walks.

Does he usually stop walking at a certain location. If so was this a place you maybe went mad at him for stopping and sniffing etc? Does he associate this place with punishment? Have you tried walking a different area/direction?

Turning around and going home will not fix the problem. Dogs don't understand the concept of refusal to walk means we go home. Dogs live in the moment they don't think of the pleaure ahead, they only think of the pleasure they are experiencing now.

Cheers

Mark

Hi CBL

When he refuses to follow on the walk, what do you do? Do you go mad at him? Do you get tense and angry inside? If so then you are creating avoidance. When he refuses to walk, honestly you must show leadership and just walk. You need to project calm and relaxed body language. He will get the picture that he must walk. Don't talk to him while resisiting, as if you try to encourage him with calming voice you could be reinforcing his behaviour/state of mind at that moment. Only encourage him when the resistance stops and he walks.

Does he usually stop walking at a certain location. If so was this a place you maybe went mad at him for stopping and sniffing etc? Does he associate this place with punishment? Have you tried walking a different area/direction?

Turning around and going home will not fix the problem. Dogs don't understand the concept of refusal to walk means we go home. Dogs live in the moment they don't think of the pleaure ahead, they only think of the pleasure they are experiencing now.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark - I have tried enouraging (though not with treats - he usually isn't food motivated) and I admit by half way round I am usually pretty fed up. Though it is odd, for the last 1/4 of the walk he is great, we usually jog the rest of the way - with only one or 2 of the usual pee stops. It is always after the same house that he just walks (and he spends ages at that particular house).

I will try just ignoring and walking (I am always worried I will hurt him), though at pretty much 30 kgs if he doesn't want to move it is difficult for me to force him. I will pop something I know he absolutely loves in my pocket and bring along a toy tomorrow.

Thanks

Hi, I think I go more MarkS's way.

I have a boy who does like to sniff etc. I don't mind if I stop and allow them to sniff, wee etc. I understand this is their best part. But once they have done it a few times that is enough.

So I just walk and then they have to follow cause I aren't stopping. I use long thin loose leads normally. If I am watching I will give a little jingle on lead as it grows taunt to warn that I am going to keep going. He watches and just before the lead tightens he runs to follow.

But I know how they can try. At times a smell must be so good the boy drops the shoulder and leans into the ground to get to some wonderful scent. I normally just look at him and say his name and he gives it up.

Good luck. Mine are probably not as determined as your dog as there is never much pressure on the lead. But then again they are lightweights. I heard some lady with a lovely big black dog comment as I passed that " Look at that dog, you wouldn't even know you had anything on the end of the lead". Just the way I like it.

Edit to say I am not bragging mine heel well, she meant the girl in a pink harness that weighs less than 4 kg.

Edited by skip

Well we had a better walk today :laugh: Not perfect but better. I tried bribing with cheese but it is hard to feed through a muzzle, and I was soon carrying bags (yes bags - 3! ) of dog poop as well.

I decided to just walk and he would catch up (kept him on a pretty short leash too), I noticed when I made the effort to stand on his right side (he is blind in his left eye), he behaved more (it also meant I was between him and anything he would like to pee on). We still had quite a few stops and I must have looked odd dragging him behind me part of the way but we did alot better.

When I take my GSD for a walk he pulls a bit on the lead as soon as we get out the house as he is a bit excited. So I tend to jog with him to the end of the block. After that he is told to walk close so I expect him to stay by my side and walk properly. Once we are off the footpath and along the biketrack area (off the track and on the grass area) he is allowed more freedom to sniff and explore but only at the end of a 5 metre lead - he is given a release before he is allowed to wander off.

I don't normally walk him for exercise but more of a chance to get out and sniff around. He normally gets his exercise at work where he has to toe the line - walking with me is more fun then anything.

I decided to just walk and he would catch up (kept him on a pretty short leash too), I noticed when I made the effort to stand on his right side (he is blind in his left eye), he behaved more

Bingo. In my experience there is always a reason for dogs behaving the way they do. If he can see you, he can trust you to handle things. Sniffing is a stress behaviour for many dogs.

More generally, my view is that walks are not just about walking on a loose lead, but are about environmental stimulation for the dog. I don't mind sniffing provided it is polite. If they are polite, then they mostly get to sniff (not always). If they lurch or lunge towards a tussock or a tree, I stop dead and wait until they look at me before they get to sniff.

I see very little point in a walk where a dog doesn't get to explore. If you want to train better behaviour, I would try walking the same route for a few days - they tend to be calmer if the smells and the rest of the environment are extremely familiar (ie, mildly boring)

I decided to just walk and he would catch up (kept him on a pretty short leash too), I noticed when I made the effort to stand on his right side (he is blind in his left eye), he behaved more

Bingo. In my experience there is always a reason for dogs behaving the way they do. If he can see you, he can trust you to handle things. Sniffing is a stress behaviour for many dogs.

More generally, my view is that walks are not just about walking on a loose lead, but are about environmental stimulation for the dog. I don't mind sniffing provided it is polite. If they are polite, then they mostly get to sniff (not always). If they lurch or lunge towards a tussock or a tree, I stop dead and wait until they look at me before they get to sniff.

I see very little point in a walk where a dog doesn't get to explore. If you want to train better behaviour, I would try walking the same route for a few days - they tend to be calmer if the smells and the rest of the environment are extremely familiar (ie, mildly boring)

We walk the same route every day - he got worse not better :( We will keep perservering with him and no doubt he will get better (and still be allowed to sniff and pee too)

We walk the same route every day - he got worse not better :( We will keep perservering with him and no doubt he will get better (and still be allowed to sniff and pee too)

Ooopsie. Well there's many things that can make them worse that a familiar route won't conquer, but I'm sure he will get better!

Just an update: we are walking SO much better :o

I keep him on a short leash and stop at the same spots everytime, using the term 'ok, go sniff'. He tries to stop occassionally but I just walk and he quickly keeps up.

Thanks for the advice everyone :cry: