Curing A Nuisance Barker

That was the plan. I thought I was starting a contract after the long weekend, but I got called into somewhere else yesterday at the last minute. I had planned to put them in their run every day for a few hours and build it up, but I didn't get a chance to.

Thanks Dolly, but I'd actually be happier using an anti-barking collar. When I leave I give him kongs/bones/rawhide/toys etc to help prevent boredom. If he was wearing a husher muzzle he wouldn't be able to get his mouth around any of those things. He'd probably develop worse behaviours as a result!

I would never leave a husher muzzle on a dog unsupervised and certainly not all day.

Husher muzzles are a bit like haltis in that many dogs find them unpleasant to wear and that effect is felt whether the dog is barking or not. Not a good use of an aversive IMO.

Edited by poodlefan

That was the plan. I thought I was starting a contract after the long weekend, but I got called into somewhere else yesterday at the last minute. I had planned to put them in their run every day for a few hours and build it up, but I didn't get a chance to.

I work as a contractor too so I know how you feel. It may still work if you do it now when you are home......

I take the batteries out when the collars aren't in use. No accidental vibration or noise triggered jets and the batteries last a lot longer

Is this when not in use for some days, or when you take it off the dog for the night or something like that? Would it be a bit pesty to do it that often?

I agree about the Husher ... would never leave it on unsupervised.

I bought one for Xia and she gets if off anyway if I'm not watching her. The Jetcare collar is superior.

Edited by sidoney

The news today is better than expected, although still not good! He barked for about an hour at 10am. The neighbours dog was barking in the avo which set him off for about another half an hour. He completely destroyed a wicker box that his toys were in and OH says he had a bit of a chew on the edge of the fake grass I put in for them to toilet on :D

Not great, but better than barking the entire day! And thankfully he didn't drag his plush bed out of the kennel and rip it up. I'd better give him a cardboard box to destroy tomorrow, just in case.

Going to discuss purchasing a collar with OH tonight, however, that won't prevent him getting bored and destroying things :laugh:

I take the batteries out when the collars aren't in use. No accidental vibration or noise triggered jets and the batteries last a lot longer

Is this when not in use for some days, or when you take it off the dog for the night or something like that? Would it be a bit pesty to do it that often?

I agree about the Husher ... would never leave it on unsupervised.

I bought one for Xia and she gets if off anyway if I'm not watching her. The Jetcare collar is superior.

Sidoney I take the collar off, remove the little cover and the battery and leave them like that every night. In the morning, back in with the battery and cover screwed back on, check the thing is full and put it back on.

It doesn't take much time at all and does wonders for the life of the battery. Besides, with FHR's Flynn coming to visit regularly, nowhere in the house (except maybe the bottom of my sock draw) was quiet enough to prevent it jetting when Flynnie barks. :eek:

The news today is better than expected, although still not good! He barked for about an hour at 10am. The neighbours dog was barking in the avo which set him off for about another half an hour. He completely destroyed a wicker box that his toys were in and OH says he had a bit of a chew on the edge of the fake grass I put in for them to toilet on ;)

Not great, but better than barking the entire day! And thankfully he didn't drag his plush bed out of the kennel and rip it up. I'd better give him a cardboard box to destroy tomorrow, just in case.

Going to discuss purchasing a collar with OH tonight, however, that won't prevent him getting bored and destroying things :)

Oh Chopper looks so sweet and innocent in your avatar, it's hard to believe that he can be so destructive!!! :)

I love when it rains... they stay in their kennels and sleep!

I did the normal walk and ball throw today, but I also added a 10min cycle for Chopper. I'd forgotten how much he loved it. He ran so hard. He was pooped afterwards. Can't wait till sledding season starts up again :)

Hmmm, came home to a ripped up bed today, not impressed. I may be able to salvage it over the weekend. He can bloody do without till next week now :rofl::

His collar arrived today also. Not that it'll stop him destroying things, at least he won't be annoying anyone other than me in future ... and possibly Angel :laugh:

I just rang my neighbour to see if the collar was working and she asked had I been keeping the dogs inside recently! I guess the NILIF was working, either that or he was so busy destroying things that he forgot to bark :love:

Either way, hopefully now the collar will train him to stay quiet.