Grooming At Tafe

They do advertise as maltese terriers in the TAFE SA short course hand book... There shuldnt be short courses... learning to groom is not a short course deal. You could not learnt to clip all those breeds in 10 days and refer to it as advanced. Advaced implies skills learnt and be damned if they can teach you to lip properly and well all those breeds in 10 days... It takes months.

Im all for PROPER training nd acredited courses. There needs to be standardisation in the industry to stop inexperienced people being able to get their hands on and cause potentially dangerous situations but courses like these arent it. These only promote inexperienced and backyard groomers without an ounce of experience thinking that they can now do out and clip anything.

There needs to be better courses, longer, more comprehensive and more hands on.

I agree 100% with you GoldiesRgr8Poodles2. There needs to be standardisation in the industry.

Unfortunately, I can not find any other courses in SA. So for me, if anything else, TAFE is a good introduction.

I want to get into the industry and do the right thing. The last thing I want to be known as is a backyard operator.

I am prepared to do everything I can to be a good groomer and with time become a good experienced groomer.

I could spend the big $$$ to go do a course interstate (plus airfares & accommodation), but the only courses I can find are salons offering 5-10days on the job training in a working salon.

So again I agree with you how can you be expected to learn the necessary skills that takes months, years to learn, not to mention master. To me these are not formal qualifications either.

If there are salons here in Adelaide (and on this forum) that are prepared to take on an adult work experience placement, (1-2days week) send me a PM.

I would be more than happy to start out as a bather and progress forward from there in exchange to be shown by a professional groomer the proper clipping and grooming techniques.

I would appreciate any opportunity to gain experience.

Cheers

Edited by DOGFATHER

Actually FGM, I don't know where you live but there are 2 courses availale in the Greater brisbane region - Ithaca Tafe at Red Hill is the major one and that course has been running for years!! The Tafe course - I've heard both good and bad -

I can only speak as a client of Ithaca TAFE grooming in Qld. They have a practice grooming service where the general public can bring their dogs in.

I used to take our Sheltie, Shelley. A couple of students would be assigned to her, supervised by a teacher.

On every occasion, they did a brilliant job. And they were specially good at handling Shelley who was a drama queen & nut-case.

I was very happy with their work....& Shelley used to trot out as happy as Larry and very beautifully groomed. I liked the way they used to tell me anything they'd noticed which might need attention. And Shelley would get a report card where there were ticks next to icons to rate her behaviour etc. She got a lot of angels (which stunned me!).

Edited by mita

I started a six week (one night a week) TAFE course (in QLD) and had my first day last week. I thought it was quite good. The teacher owns her own dog grooming business and seems to know quite a lot about grooming. She has explained that the course isn't made for people to begin a career in grooming, rather, it is designed to show you how to properly to groom your dog at home. I still have five weeks to go. For the price ($230) I would so far recommend it.

I wish there was standardised formal training that everyone including current groomers had to attend in order to be known as a groomer at least then there would not be the them and us thing with salons and mobiles.

Bring the training to SA and I will be there.

Edited by Muckypup

The masters groomer title is a different kettle of fish but again it isnt easily available to many states ,many would be required to travel(QLD) to the ausgroom confereance ) & if we run our own business have to shut down for that time etc etc

I believe that this may have just become available in NSW (location Dural), but I am not totally sure.

Hi Squeak.

The masters accreditation is'nt available at Dural but we do teach grooming for beginners and existing groomers from Steve Austins Pet Resort at Dural.The teacher is Christine Speerin who is a Certified Master Groomer of Australia and actually does have 30 years experience both showing and grooming AND she is'nt 20 years old., more like nearing 50 ( but don't tell her i said that. LOL !. The Grooming School has been going for 4 years now and we welcome any enquiries whether you are wanting to update your current skills or are a novice.We are also working with the relevant authorities in trying to have grooming recognised and accredited much the same as plumbers and electricians have to be licensed.It is a long way from happening at the moment but am hopeful to see it happen in our lifetime.Quite happy for anyone to give us a call and have a chat.Contact numbers on our website at www.thegromingschool.com.au .

Regards