Having Trouble Training Puppy To Be Left Alone

mini_dachie

I have a 3 month old mini dachshund and will be returning to work on Wednesday. I have been trying to train him to be left alone but I am having problems. Now I only have 2 days left! Does anyone have any tips on how to best get a puppy used to being left alone.

I have a 3 month old mini dachshund and will be returning to work on Wednesday. I have been trying to train him to be left alone but I am having problems. Now I only have 2 days left! Does anyone have any tips on how to best get a puppy used to being left alone.

Hi mini_dachie,

Not sure if this will be completely relevant, as Bean was 13 months old when I brought him home and then had to start leaving him alone while I was at work. But hopefully you can get some ideas!

Bean is now alone for approx 9 hours each weekday while I'm at work, and according to my nextdoor neighbour he doesn't make a sound. For the first few months he would have a short cry lasting a couple of minutes halfway through the afternoon. Now, he doesn't even do that.

The BIG thing is routine. Always try to leave at the same time each morning, and return at the same time each night. Do the same things each morning before you go to work (e.g. get up/walk the dog/shower/eat breakfast & dress/leave). Once your dog knows what to expect, he should hopefully be calmer - especially when the routine kicks in and he KNOWS you always return at the expected time. Then, when you do get home, remember to not make a huge fuss about it. Say hello only when he's quiet and calm.

Bean is given a Kong every weekday morning stuffed with frozen mince or chicken necks. This supposedly keeps him occupied for half an hour or so. Luckily I have a dog who is happy to sleep in his kennel or on his hessian bed and simply wait quietly for me to return (when he knows the fun stuff starts!).

Two other big things to create a calm dog who is okay with being left alone: obedience training and leadership. I took Bean through Beginners, Class 1 and Class 2 at the local club, and that really helped. Also, make sure you're applying all the usual leadership techniques. If your dog truly knows you're the boss, he won't be so upset at being left alone. After all, if the boss is putting him in the pen each day and leaving for how ever many hours, then it must be alright! Just remember - keep to a routine. That's the big thing; your dog has to be able to rely on you, or he won't settle.

(Edited for grammar... :( )

Edited by VintageDiva

Thanks so much for that advice Vintage Diva.

I went back to work today and it went really well. I tired him out in the morning and he slept, so I left when he was asleep. I checked on him late in the morning and gave him his Kong and then again in the afternoon and gave him a chicken neck. I waited outside each time I left and he didn't cry. He had lots of toys and the Tv left on.

They only thing was that each time I came back he was so sad, crying and running with his tail between his legs and wanting a cuddle, then to get down, then a cuddle . . . but I guess he will get over that. Luckily I work across the street from home and have 2 breaks, so he is never alone for too long.

mini dachie, don't make a big deal of it when you get home, cuddling the dog when he is crying and running around with his tail down will simply reinforce the behaviour. When you get home don't run straight out to the dog and fuss over him, wait until he's calmed down and is sitting quietly then call the dog to you and give him a pat. Don't make a fuss of the dog when you leave and when you return home don't acknowledge him until he's quiet. Always call the dog to you if you wish to give it attention, never let the dog decide when it gets pats and cuddles.

Follow Mirandas advice because pandering to a dachie is your worst nightmare.

They area hardy breed but can become obsessed with there owners & as there a breed born to bark you dont want to encourage behaviour that will get this result.