Considering Barf

kbo

I'm considering switching from a Raw/Cooked home made diet (with no bones) to all BARF. I'm still doing some research into the diet and my main concern is the safety of swallowing chunks of the whole raw bones.

Would it be ok to smash them up with mallet to begin with until I feel more comfortable with the raw bone concept? Does anyone do this on a regular basis or does it defeat the purpose of BARF?

My dog is small size, 8 months old.

I feed quite a few chicken necks and two of my small dogs will just swallow them whole so those get smashed and cut into pieces. When I started Mick (small dog) on the necks I would hold them so he had to chew and now there's no problem with him, he chews! Perhaps hold them until your pup gets the idea that they have to be chewd then see how he goes!

Yes thats a good idea pebbles - stop my old boy hoovering chicken necks I put them whole, right in the side of his mouth, half in half out and haven't had a problem. I also give them to them whole but frozen - which really slows them down!! :):rofl:

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

I feed quite a few chicken necks and two of my small dogs will just swallow them whole so those get smashed and cut into pieces. When I started Mick (small dog) on the necks I would hold them so he had to chew and now there's no problem with him, he chews! Perhaps hold them until your pup gets the idea that they have to be chewd then see how he goes!

I had problems with smashing them and getting the chicken wings to mix properly. Made some enquiries about a proper mincer but too expensive. Found a really good cast iron hand mincer for $60 from Vic.Basement and it does a really good job of grinding the bones and making good RMB mince - requires a bit of elbow grease... did 3kg last night and have tight shoulders this morning...

I cut the chicken necks up into either halves or quaters to stop the swallowing whole scenario. I suppose you could do the same with chicken frames etc.

Have feed a holidaying pug with the BARF patties and she copes fine with the bones that are in them.

I always thought that being able to chew a bone was what made them so beneficial in a dogs diet. Something to do with keeping teeth and gums healthy?

BARF patties have ground up bone in them but you're still supposed to give RMBs on top. Surely smashing them up or cutting them up into small pieces defeats the purpose? This is a genuine question, not a criticism or anything or anyone.... :)

You are more than correct Joypod.

Bones and bones with good meat on them are for the health of teeth and gums.

I have 2 Papillons and they have absolutely no issues in chewing on chicken carcasses, chicken necks, chicken legs, lamb bones ( of any description) some beef bones. They adore them and are usually first in line to the fridge when it opens.

Good teeth and gums, no smelly breath or smelly problems at all.

Yes Joypod - that's what I do - my westies get barf patties - half each a couple of times a week and RMBs - beef, marrow, lamb flaps. They get chicken necks for breakky - and its great to see them hoe into their bones - they adore them!!

Cheers

Westiemum :o