Bad Habits!

Even tho' you know better...  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What iffy dog training things do you sometimes do?

• Repeating commands when dog doesn't obey (sit sit sit sit sit)
    • "Barking" (yelling) at barking dog
    • Using complete sentences and expecting dog to understand
    • Reinforcing the wrong behaviour
    • Not reinforcing the right behaviour
    • Ascribing human motivations to dog
    • Using leash as a steering wheel
    • Letting dog pull on the leash
    • Letting dog with flaky recall offleash in public
    • Stressing out when you need to be calm
    • Feeding dog for no reason
    • Correcting dog for no reason
    • Using recall to call dog for unpleasant experiences
    • Not paying attention to dog when working
    • Allowing dog to ignore cues/commands
  2. 2. More! Feel free to suggest others...

• Letting dog jump up without a cue
    • I might do some of this but don't want to say in a public forum!
    • I don't do any of these!

It's annoying, but sometimes I find myself doing stuff I know is wrong, and afterwards I think "boy, if I was watching someone else do that I'd think they were an idiot!"

So, why is it that even tho' we know a better way, we sometimes forget to use it?

Feel free to add other suggestions or say if you think some of the things I've listed aren't that bad.

Edited by anita

My 2 big ones are:

Stressing out when you need to be calm

and

Using leash as a steering wheel

It's so hard to get out of the habit of both, especially the stressing one. Using the lead for steering kind of ties into stressing I guess as I want to make sure I have complete control at all times.

The rest I think I'm pretty good with :cheer:

I will sometimes feed/reward my dog just for being so damm cute, I don't think this a problem though. :cheer:

By cute I mean giving me such great attention so it is not a bad thing to reward it IMO.

What I annoying is people that let their dog get away with barking at training. You can't even have a conversation with the person whilst their dog is continually barking and they don't do anything about it. They just tell the dog to shut up, and then it is quiet for 2 seconds and then starts barking again. Or the people whose dogs are not crate trained properly and the dog is continually barking in the crate.

I think my worst habit is: when training a young dog sometimes reinforcing bad behaviour because my reactions aren't quite fast enough. For eg. asking a dog to sit, they sit and then quickly stand again, I am a bit slow in rewarding actually while they are still sitting.

I did recently get a clicker though and I think this has helped a heap.

I also get a bit frustrated when I should remain calm. Especially trying to get a dog to stack quickly in the ring, I think my dog feels my tension and then becomes tense as well!

I don't think I am too bad though, my dogs are pretty well behaved, know the basics and enjoy being dogs!!

My biggest problem according to those who know is that I don't praise my dogs enough when they do the right thing - working on that one. I can also be guilty of using full sentences around the house, but never in a formal 'training' environment.

I still have a lot to learn, but most of these I'm OK with I think.

My biggest hurdle is learning to switch my attitude for my dogs. One has to be calmed down so I can keep up with her, the other has to be brought 'up' to work. when I have one after the other it is quite difficult.