Going To The Toilet When It Is Raining.

moggy

My Chihuahuas will not venture into the rain to go to the toilet. I know this is a problem with some dog owners, so how do you solve the problem?

They will flit out for a wee sometimes, but the poo ends up under the pergola or on the back door step.

Any suggestions please.

Moggy.

No suggestion from me. I am having the same problem with my Sheltie pup. She always toilets on the grass, but if it is raining or the grass is wet, she does it on the pavers on the verandah.

When I take her out for a walk she does her business on the grass but during the day when I am not home, it always ends up on the pavers when it is raining or even just wet, she never does this when it is dry.

If I am outside with her, she will pace around and whine when she needs to go because she knows I will put her on the grass if she tries it on the pavers. She does eventually go on the grass if I am there but not when she is on her own.

I had the same problem with my greyhound as a pup. She is now 16 months old and I "think" she is over it. This winter will tell.

But she will at least go out on the grass now after it's rained. My verandah is carpeted, I must admit I wouldn't have been so stressed about it all if it had been pavers or concrete.

I used to block off the entrance to the verandah and go out with her and just wait. I also put a coat on her and sometimes would take her out into the front yard where there was no carpet available for her to pee on. I didn't care if she peed under the carport.

Do they just not like getting wet?

My dog started to be fussy in the rain when we got her as an older pup and a trainer advised us to play with her in the rain to give her good associations with the rain. It worked and toileting and walking in the rain are now no problem (for her! me, i hate rainy day walkies!!!). So go outside in your raincoat and wellies and do something with them they love, then maybe they will use the grass when it rains?

Good luck.