Chewing The Walls!

I was hoping someone may be able to come up with some suggestions as to why my sister in laws dog has started chewing walls. Not the corners - right in the middle of the walls he has chewed big patches out :o He is an 18 month old mongrel (big labradoodle) that they bought at 12 months old. He is taken for walks, they do training with him and he has a younger little sister to play with. He has plenty of toys and company. He has done it three times now and twice they were actually at home and he was inside with them when he did it. He was in another room and they heard chewing so went to check what he was chewing and it was the wall. He has done quite a bit of damage. He seems quite happy and nothing out of the ordinary has happened that they can think of.

:o

Is it possible there's something lacking in his diet?

I'm thinking crate training ....

I'd guess XL would be big enough for a larger labradoodle.

About $140 for that size crate and alot cheaper than replastering.

It's not as though you can put Tabasco/ Aeroguard/ Antichew spray all over all the walls :o.

Short term solution - go buy a Bitter Apple spray or another brand that discourages chewing and spray in the obvious places.

How much walking/training etc does this dog get?

What is his diet? My as yet untested theory is that dogs that don't get enough jaw exercise chewing their food will find it elsewhere.

Boredom, anxiety etc as mentioned are possiblities. Another is simply that he enjoys it.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks for the replies people :laugh: Maybe he is not getting enough stimulation. They bought him sight unseen and were very surprised when he turned up that he was so big! It really wasn't a good idea for so many reasons.....

Thanks for the replies people :laugh: Maybe he is not getting enough stimulation. They bought him sight unseen and were very surprised when he turned up that he was so big! It really wasn't a good idea for so many reasons.....

Shutting a few doors is probably going to help too Gretel. They should keep him with them when he's inside or crate him as PW suggested.

confine him - the longer this is allowed to contiue the more of a habit is formed and this will continue indefinately. break the cycle and once the dog is mature it will cease.

At about 6 months old our Rogue chewed a hole in the middle of the wall one morning while OH was in bed! she has been crated at night and confined during the day when were out - shes just turned 18 months and is now 99.9% trust worth anywhere in the house with everything available to her.