Systemic Infection

Jibba

Hi my new dog, only had him 5 days has a massive systemic infection, he started out with a swollen face, i gave him antihistamines, they didnt help, so went to vet , he had a temp of 40.7 so it wasnt a bite, and the swelling was extremely painful, he got massive antibiotics, and cortisone injections, sent hoem to the aircon to keep him cool, by this arvo at 5 he was more swollen, we took him to the vets again, and he apparently has a thing similar to black leg in horses and sheep, his prognosis, is very grave, he is on a drip of antibiotics and getting a blood transfusion, but the vet says unless the facial swelling comes down or stops he will suffocate, and even then the prognosis of septisemia type thing is not good. Has anyone else had anything similar? or have any good news to make me feel like he will make it through the night.

Is it possible that your dog also has Vasculitis? It is rare in dogs, but from your description sounds very similar to when I lost one of my dogs from an extreme allergic reaction. We tried everything to save him, but he died after five days in intensive care.

I hope your dog survives - best wishes for his recovery.

i had a foal with it once

vet did blood tests and said that her blood count was so low she was using her bone marrow to fight the infection and PTS was only option

so big tough me was like if we have yup OK but at last second said can we at least try and save her

they said they'd give her IV fluids IV antibiotics for 24 hrs if blood tests didn't improve or they stayed the same there was nothing else they could do

well i'm happy to say after three weeks in the vet (and a mortgage to pay the bill) she came home she was 5 mths at the time and now is a beautiful 3 yr old filly

so please don't give up hope

i really hope all goes well for your new boy

dfa