Raw Feeders

Joypod

Hi all,

This is a question for the raw (prey model) feeders. Do any of you not have to use flea treatments on your dogs?

I feed Gus a totally raw (prey model) diet and haven't had any fleas yet. Granted he IS only 4.5 months old but I'm hoping I never need to use a flea treatment on him.

I was wondering if it was his diet that was helping keep the fleas away. He gets RMB's (mostly chicken), meat (chicken, kangaroo, lamb), offal (liver, kidney, brain, gibblets), whole sardines and whole eggs.

I'd be interested in hearing about other's experiences with the prevention of parasites through raw food diets.

Ta

Vic

Edited by Joypod

Fleas are parasites so they're attracted to unhealthy animals (unless in, like, plague conditions). So by feeding a raw diet your dog is probably healthy enough to fend off any fleas he encounters.

I feed my older dog on a prey model diet and have not used flea treatment since.

My pup hasn't been flea treated, either, but is not on a totally raw diet.

HTH.

I do. We have TONS of fleas around here in the soil, I honestly doubt a raw diet would stop them altogether, but it might stop them in less infected areas.

I don't believe that the incidence of parasites has anything to do with whether the diet is raw or not. Fleas like to live on healthy dogs and unhealthy dogs alike.

If you leave your dog in an area where there are flea eggs around, your dog will get fleas.

I feed raw and rarely use flea treatments on my dogs even though fleas are visible in the soil around my property. I check them regularly and watch for any signs that they are bothered by fleas. If they do pick one up I give them a capstar tablet but it's extremely rare that I need to.

There is an ongoing but seemingly reducing flea problem here, the 7 yo had way fewer fleas than the old girl who is RIP. Both fed the same. I can't conclude anything really. I do ongoing control things, on the dog and the environment. Blessed with a dog who isn't hypersensitive to bites. Other parasites? She's not much exposed to mossies, same as the humans; and other external critters aren't applicable.

Fleas like to live on healthy dogs and unhealthy dogs alike.

I would probably disagree with that... last year I had one healthy dog and one dog dying of cancer. They were both exposed to the same environment (loads of fleas after a bunch of rain) and only my sick dog got a flea problem. I asked the vet about it and she said like any parasite fleas will infest the weakest animal available.

Sorry thats a bit off topic about the raw feeding thing but interesting all the same I thought.

Dani