Metacam 20 Warning

digisol

BTW I simply googled the drug for any information, one link to Metacam led directly to your web site, thus the posting, I'm not insaine or an idiot, and when it comes to my best friend I do not make jokes for fun or idle gossip to be ridiculed by wankers, I had thought I might be doing someone a possible favor, nothing more.

The Metacam liquid which was injected into her neck was the colour of very weak #1.

As for water ? it's been raining heavily here now for about 6 weeks or more straight, and I happen to drink the stuff, especially if rain water is available, why it was allrealy on the coffee table where I was situated where I splashed it onto her ears and face in panic.

As for the few cheap comments of giving re-sus on a still breathing animal I guess forums are forums and some mothers do have em, I should also say that by the time I noticed there was a big problem after I had watched and counted her last few breaths which were about 1 shallow breath every ten seconds, a tad slow for any dog, and by the time I had it figured there was a real problem she had stopped breathing and her head was totally limp where i picked up her head and she slid to the floor essentially dead, I do know dead, and I did check, she was then not breathing or moving at all.

Just FTR My age is 51 not 15 or 5.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must I reiterate again digisol states in her post that ''Metacam 20'' was used to treat the dog.

Metacam 20 is for cattle use only it has 20mg/ml compared to metacam with 5mg/ml normally used for cats and dogs. A small animal vet would not even have metacam 20 on the shelf.

The correct dose for a 46kg dog of 5mg/ml metacam would be 1.84ml.

The whole post makes no sense at all.

50ml of normal metacam would be lethal let alone metacam 20 which is 4 times as concentrated.

How big was the syringe? A 50ml syringe would be at least 3cm wide and 15cm long.

Ok when I went back the same Vet was off as there are several that run the same practice, to wit Accacia Vet Surgery, Normanby st Yeppoon, the girl at the desk said "yes this receipt is correct" and all I could do at that point was to be annoyed and state the obvious which had happened.

I'm not a doctor or a vet but with this amount seemingly to be so very incorrect I had a look around the house here for some heat transfer paste used for CPU heatsinks which I have, they are also in partly filled 2.5 ml syringes.

So then, What I saw would then have been a completely full 5ml glass syringe of Metacam 20, whatever the amount of drug, the dog has obviously had some adverse reastion to it, considering that is the second time with two dogs they were given an injection which in the first dog killed him stone dead, had I not been home this dog would also be dead, that is just a simple fact.

As for the receipt it is not mistaken, it says 50 ml and what I only repeated, which was also what I was was said to have paid for, 50ml @ $15.20 for the actual price of that injection.

I was told the two drugs were NSAID or Non Steroidal anti imflamatory drugs to help stop the inflamation behind her eye, and why I have seen the drug Metacam which is said to be used for arthritus etc, and as I use human non steroidal drugs for arthritus I know they have some nasty side effects, when they took my Prexige pills which worked a treat off the market as some people had suffered kidney or liver failure, obviously they have some adverse side effects in those sort of drugs.

I have not tried to misslead, only report what happened.

So then, What I saw would then have been a completely full 5ml glass syringe of Metacam 20

As for the receipt it is not mistaken, it says 50 ml and what I only repeated, which was also what I was was said to have paid for, 50ml @ $15.20 for the actual price of that injection.

So you think it was a 5ml syringe that you saw. (Still too much I know)

I'm thinking the receipt says 50ml because Metacam 20 comes in a 50ml bottle.

If he did get 50ml, it should have cost you alot more than $15.20

The only part of the post that makes sense is that Metacam 20mg/ml is packaged in a 50ml bottle which is what I assume is listed on the receipt. It only describes the drug that was given, not the quantity injected.

Edit: Snap with Sir WJ.

Edited by Rappie

1. You don't inject metacam - it is an oral suspension

2. 50ml of the stuff would drop a horse let alone a dog

ETA: The stuff comes with a syringe which is kg based. so a 50 on that would be for a 50kg dog not 50ml of the stuff

i am a vet nurse and there is injectable metacam,as well as a suspension.it is contra-indicated for animals with liver,kidney probs.like any medication ,there will always be animals that do have a reaction to a particular drug,sometimes they have underlying health issues which contribute to a reaction.there is no way a dog would be given 50 ml of metacam,they come in 25 ml bottles and it is expensive.

they come in 25 ml bottles and it is expensive.

The 5mg/ml comes in a 20ml bottle, but I'm 99% sure the 20mg/ml comes in a 50ml bottle.

the vets where i work are roughly half large animal,half small animal and we only stock the 20 ml(i was guestimating the size!!) for small animals,i have never seen the cattle stuff in here,they must use a different product.

the vets where i work are roughly half large animal,half small animal and we only stock the 20 ml(i was guestimating the size!!) for small animals,i have never seen the cattle stuff in here,they must use a different product.

We only use the small animal one where I work too, usually just use bute for largies. :offtopic:

1. You don't inject metacam - it is an oral suspension

2. 50ml of the stuff would drop a horse let alone a dog

ETA: The stuff comes with a syringe which is kg based. so a 50 on that would be for a 50kg dog not 50ml of the stuff

i am a vet nurse and there is injectable metacam,as well as a suspension.it is contra-indicated for animals with liver,kidney probs.like any medication ,there will always be animals that do have a reaction to a particular drug,sometimes they have underlying health issues which contribute to a reaction.there is no way a dog would be given 50 ml of metacam,they come in 25 ml bottles and it is expensive.

yes we established I was behind the eight ball on page 3 :offtopic:

Sounds like this poster has a beef with a particular vet clinic and is trying to create problems for them.

Digisol, thankyou for giving us this warning about your dogs bad reaction.

I hope you dont feel that anyone has given you too much a hard time here, I think people were just a little confused by the dosage etc. I admit I am one of the confused ones but you obviously care a great deal about your dog and have had a huge shock and a terrible experience with this particular drug but I hope you stick around here on dogzonline it can be a very supportive forum with a wealth of knowledge and some other very caring owners. I also hope your staffy is doing well now and recovering nicely. :laugh: