Puppy Behaviour

kymbo

I have a nearly 6 month old whole male papillon puppy. I have not seen this behaviour myself, but my husband is telling me that Sam runs up to him and is humping his leg. He immediatly stops him and tells him no, makes him sit and then praises him.

I was wondering, is this pup doing this as a dominance thing? Or is it a happy to see you/over excitement thing?

He never has done it to me ( I am the main care giver etc) and I have only occassionally seen him try to do it, again just in the last month, to the other Papillon ( also a whole male)

I am concerned that he is *maybe* considering hubby lower in the pack, and is just testing the waters with the other dog, so to speak.

I have said to hubby that when he does it, to not just stop him with a no and a flick to get him off his leg, but to quickly roll him on his back and to growl no at him, then get him to sit, and then praise.

Thoughts? Are we doing this wrong? My other pap never did this to any on us, just the occassional stuffed toy :love:

I don't want the little sod doing it to visitors etc if it becomes a habit :love:

It's not always a sign of dominance. Whatever you do don't roll him on his back & growl at him, this could make him aggressive. When he does it stand up & give him something else to do such as a sit or down & give him a toy to play with. Perhaps give him more exercise.

Thanks for the reply :rofl:

So I continue to do what we originally were doing; just flick him off and then get him to do something, like a sit?

I thought that rolling him over is how the pack leader would tell him 'no' ???

He only does it when hubby has been away for a little while ( in his mind this is 10 minutes, lol) and he does it as hubby is standing there. Never when anyone is just sitting etc.

He gets heaps of exercise...any more would kill me :D

I would simply take the puppy firmly by the scruff and remove him with a sharp 'Uh-Uh', then walk away and ignore him. It could be dominant behaviour, if he starts trying to mount the other male it is definitely dominant behaviour and if the other male objects you may have a scrap. At 6 months he is approaching sexual maturity and may be starting to vie for top dog with your other boy, this is not uncommon when you have two entire males.