Shooting Action Pics

sandyl

Hey!

Ok, I'm going along to a skate park demo day on Saturday and have been asked to take some pics. I'm still very much a beginner in SLR cameras. So basically I’ll be taking some happy snaps, and, if anything turns out well the coordinators might use it on their webpage! :laugh: I’m still toggling with the ‘P’ setting on my SLR. What’s the best setting to use for action photos?

Thankyou :cry:

eta spellink

Edited by Sandrasm

If you are still very much a beginner... I wouldn't risk faffing about with too many settings for an action shoot..... what camera do you have??

If you have an automatic action setting... use that because you will get better quality without having to fiddle with aperture etc.... otherwise.. I use the AV setting on my Canon mostly.... only have to faff about with the aperture and everything else is sorted out by the camera. :laugh:

For an auto setting youd want it on shutter speed priority (where you set a high shutter speed and it changes the aperture to suit). Set it on at least 1/1000th (I assume the weather will be sunny or at least bright). And make sure the focus setting is AI Servo - this will following the object you are panning with with the focus especially if you take a few shots at a time.

Thanks guys :D

Cordy, I have a Pentax K100D. It's an entry based dslr.

Will have a play around with both modes mentioned. Thanks a lot! :D

If you have the K100D then you have 3 Auto Options if you are unsure using manual modes.

My wife recently upgraded her Pentax istDS to the K100D, it may be an entry model but its a darn good camera capable of very good images, and it has image stabilization built in too!

On your selection dial (top left) You will see the 'Auto Pic' and 'SCN' indicators. You also havea string of settings like TV and AV ... on the other side of the dialto those you have Icons

Option 1. The Icon for 'SPORTS MODE'is the one that looks like a football player kicking a ball. If you turn the dial to this it will display in the LCD on the back that 'SPORTS or MOVING OBJECT MODE' is selected

Option 2. Turn the dial to SCN ... this stands for SCENES MODE. ... on the back of the camera is the 4 way controller, under this is a button called 'Fn' press this and then press OK in the centre of the 4 way controller. You can now sellect one of 8 different 'scenes modes' ... There is one for Moving Kids ... and one for Moving Pets

Any of these 3 options will give you higher shutter speed defaults as an AUTO setting.

Hope that helps.

Edited by AkitaSam