Making Your Photos High Resolution

cavmad

I took some photos for a newspaper and emailed them through my hotmail account to the newspaper. I thought I used the highest resolution on my camera but they editor has emailed me back saying I need to email them in a higher resolution. Can I change the photo to a higher resolution or do I have to email them through a different email account. Does anyone know if hotmail changes the resolution of photos when they are emailed?

Hi..I am not very technical..and get confused.

Whenever I have had photos published..I send them at the original/size resolution from the camera.

What MP is your camera? This will have an effect on the 'quality' of a photo.

My version of it is that if the image isn't 'dense' enough..ie: pixels jammed in tight..the quality in print media will be poor.

let me google..............

does this help?

http://www.pixagogo.com/tutorials/digitalp...ixelsResolution

For publication images need to be at least about 1 Megabyte in size. Sometime they will be OK with 600-700kb if the image will only be used in a small size.

Most point and shoot cameras even on their highest setting will struggle to have files that big.

It is possible to make an image bigger in photoshop bit by bit but sometimes even that doesn't work if the original image is too small.

Email wont change an image unless you have it set to shrink images but you go through several steps so you'd know if you were shrinking it rather than just attaching.

SLRs on the biggest jpeg setting will take about 3-4mb per image (or bigger depending on teh camera).

From his perspective, he measures the resolution of an image by its DPI, or dots per inch.

The way DPI works, is easy. Listen to this.

Basically, you dont have to worry about DPI on your end. All you have to worry about is shooting your photo at a high setting on your digital camera.

The bigger the picture the editor wants to print in his newspaper or magazine, the higher the resoultion you have to shoot at. Different print mediums, and different preferences by different editors, require a certain minimum DPI resolution. For instance that may range from 150DPI to 600DPI and upwards.

Now when he recieves your image he will mathamatically work out what the print DPI will be given the size of your digital image and the size he wants to print at. He did this, and worked out its no good.

If you really want to be sure you get it right and your camera is capable, ask him. What pixel resolution do you require.

Yes, you can increase the images size. However, this does not increase the real resolution of the image, and is unproffesional. If he thought that was an acceptable option, he'd have probably done it himself instead of refusing your image.

Hotmail does not make any changes to your image.