Recall Too Fast

There is no such thing as a recall that is too fast :rolleyes: Just dogs that don't understand the front.

Sounds like you need to go back to basics and teach the dog a front from every angle from very close. Only gradually increase the distance.

There is no such thing as a recall that is too fast :rofl: Just dogs that don't understand the front.

Sounds like you need to go back to basics and teach the dog a front from every angle from very close. Only gradually increase the distance.

That is what I was thinking.....my Dal was coming straight to me but then doing a huge shuffle backwards when he sat :rolleyes: I went back to basics and re-trained on the command "front" (pretty much what PF described a few posts back) and it has worked a treat. Today I took him out on the long line in the park - mostly he did really, really well but did overshoot once...I gave him a NRM ("Ah well"), tried again and he was spot on and very happy to get his steamed chicken reward :rofl:

He has spent most of his life not being able to run freely and now is too fast for his own good.

Good suggestions. He needs to learn to play the game (by your rules/expectations/criteria).

Does he run about -generally? Fast recalls are wonderful, but it worries me IF you are concerned on his recalls, is his other obedience exercises less than ideal?. It may be, he is running about, not focused, to play by his rules/not focused/trying another tactic to halt "boring" obedience?