Which Vitamin C?

Guest Tess32

I want to supplement Noah while he's going through some fugly teething stages....which one is best?

Ester C

Calcium ascorbate

ascorbic acid

sodium ascorbic

OR this one, called C-Max

C-max contains

Each level metric teaspoon (3.5gm) of powder contains:

Total Vitamin C: 1.729g

Calcium ascorbate 309.40mg

Magnesium ascorbate 144.38mg

Sodium ascorbate 186.2mg

Potassium ascorbate 134.23 R, s-alpha lipoic acid 7mg

Phyllanthus emblica fruit ext. dry. Conc. stand (5:1 in water) 84mg

d-alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate 41.23mg (equiv to Natural Vitamin E 56IU)

Rutin 42mg

Hesperidin 70mg

Natural Betacarotene 1.26mg

Magnesium phosphate 70mg

Calcium phosphate 70mg

Zinc sulphate 9.60mg

Was told this, is it true?

"You require ascorbates and phospahtes eg calcium, magnesium in order to absorb Vitamin C properly. By taking Vitamin C straight it will not metabolize in the body correctly.' "

From Linus Pauling Institute (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/):

"Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is available in many forms, but there is little scientific evidence that any one form is better absorbed or more effective than another.

Natural vs. synthetic vitamin C

Natural and synthetic L-ascorbic acid are chemically identical and there are no known differences in their biological activities or bioavailability"

AND

"Ascorbate and vitamin C metabolites

One such supplement (Ester-C®) contains mainly calcium ascorbate, but also contains small amounts of the vitamin C metabolites dehydroascorbate (oxidized ascorbic acid), calcium threonate, and trace levels of xylonate and lyxonate. Although the metabolites are supposed to increase the bioavailability of vitamin C, the only published study in humans found no difference between Ester-C® and commercially available ascorbic acid tablets with respect to the absorption and urinary excretion of vitamin C"

I don't think you can get BETTER vitamin C than the generic ascorbic acid tablets.

I'm a huge advocate of Ester C because it has been recommended to me by so many especially the staff at Holistic Animal Medicines, however that C-Max looks pretty good!

Ester C is expensive but I'm only giving it to one dog at a teaspoon a day - so it does go a long way......

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Vit C was the first thing that was recommended to us when Ollie was first diagnosed with cancer. He has been on 1000 to 1500mg a day since he was diagnosed.

There were a couple of times during chemo that he was so ill (not the chemo, he had caught a bug because of a compromised immune system) and the vet put him on a drip with Vit C - he came out of it like he had never been sick at all..

Vit C is am amazing tonic for dogs.

I always use a low/no acid formula........ a calcium ascorbate powder..cos I can't afford Ester C :)

The Ester-C I get is Hooman kind :rofl:

A bottle of 250 tablets only cost me between $25 online and $35 via health food store, 625mg per tablet :hug:

I think that is pretty reasonable :(