Dog Who Can Jump Fences!

Hi, was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to deter a dog from jumping fences. He is a labrador and can jump a fence at least 1.2m high! He has never actually jumped at my place, but went to a new home and I think wanted to come home so decided he would jump their fence and escape regularly. He is now back home with me as it didn't work out.

They loved him and he was wonderful except he wouldn't stay in their yard! ;)

So I don't know if I can rehome him until I sort out this fence jumping thing. Again he doesn't do it here, although we live on acreage and his kennel run is too high to jump!

Any ideas?

I dont know whether it is actually that he wants to jump over every fence, but 1.2m is a very very low fence for a large dog ??? and I think any dog that could jump it would !!! I know mine would to see what was on the other side and they are not fence jumpers, but given the easy opportunity ?????????

I just think that you would need to check that any potential homes have a high enough fence.

Otherwise, if it is an issue where he is actually constantly trying to get out, I would think it is some form of seperation anxiety, or if not, you could try some sort of electric fencing or something to stop him from going near the fences at all ;)

Good Luck :clap:

Edited by BC

I agree 1.2metres isn't hugley tall. Our fence is 1.8m and both Mac and Buster can jump it if they want, and both are under 40cm's tall themselves.

I would suggest higher fences, some dogs just need them

Thanks for the replies. I think he really fretted for his other lab family and was looking for them, as the new owners thought he seemed happy enough with them. I agree that obviously 1.2m is not high enough for him, as once he decided he could do it, there was no stopping him.

Electric fencing wasn't really an option they lived in a suburb and had young children!

He is happy back here with us and if another family come along that want him, they will have to have very high fences or a run.

Thanks for your help.