Nursing Mother Dog Question

Just wondering is it normal for a mother dog to pant while feeding her puppies? I just noticed her doing it and my dog is was not panting so it can't be from the temperature (and its not hot right now anyway). When she's finished feeding she stops panting. If this is normal why does she do it?

Yes this is normal. From your siggy, did you feed your child? If so you will likely remember the feeling of the uterus contracting when you fed your bub in the first 6 weeks or so. Same thing happening to your bitch. And the feeding also does make her hot, as her body is working hard producing milk. Make sure she has plenty of access to water when the pups have finished. How old are the pups?

It can still be uncomfortable to feed especially if pups are vigarous. I presume you check her nipples? WRT water, I am not sure of the term but some mothers get a raging thirst as soon as milk let down starts (I always had to have water beside me for the first weeks of feeding my children and it never really went away). If this is the cause there is obviously not too much you can do about it :confused: . Presuming all else is looking normal and Mum has had her post surgery checks etc I would just monitor it and ty to enjoy cute bubs!

Suture is fine, temp is normal, and pups are feeding well. I am still suplimenting them though. She doesn't appear to have much more milk than she did a few days ago though, How long does it normally take to get their milk supply up to what it should be? I puppies seem to feed on her for ages and they're still ravenous when i put them on the bottle.

They are VERY cute :confused: a couple of them try to lay on their backs while drinking on the bottle theyre so funny.

Suture is fine, temp is normal, and pups are feeding well. I am still suplimenting them though. She doesn't appear to have much more milk than she did a few days ago though, How long does it normally take to get their milk supply up to what it should be? I puppies seem to feed on her for ages and they're still ravenous when i put them on the bottle.

They are VERY cute :confused: a couple of them try to lay on their backs while drinking on the bottle theyre so funny.

the desexing will have thrown her homone balance in to disaray. I don't have any experience with this happening but perhaps their are others who have. Hormone imbalance could potentially affect both her temperature when feeding and the milk supply to my way of thinking.

HaHa you are making me verrry jealous!

Milk supply can take a few days to adjust to demand but some mothers just never seem to come in completely. Obviously diet can play a huge part and this can be a problem if she was not fed well during pregnancy (is this a foster? If not sorry, not meaning to give offence!). Encourage her to drink as much as possible, I usually give Di Vetelact or whatever you are supplementing pups with to increase hydration if it is low, it will also (obviously)increase calcium intake (again presuming it may have been low during pregnancy) and increase calorie intake especially helpful after a caesar.

Some medications can have the side effect of increasing milk supply in the short term (metomide for instance which is used as an anti-emetic), I believe that some natural supplements can also help, dramatically in some case.

If nothing works, I guess at least they are still getting immunity from Mum with what she is able to provide and hopefully she is bonding more with them and taking over the non-cute side of puppy raising!