Feeding Giant/large Breeds

Hi, with giant breeds you have to be very careful with protein levels. Generally it's best to avoid all "puppy" foods (unless specified as a giand breed formula) as these tend to have a lot of protein to 'encourage' growth. You want giant pups to grow as slowly as possible.

We have a Mastiff pup and he is fed Dick Van Pattens Ultra Premium kibble, plus human grade mince, greek yoghurt and some veg.

When looking for a kibble for a giant breed this is the basic info you want to look for on the back of the pack:

Protein (20-25%), mid range for fat (12-18%) and is well balanced for calcium and phosphorus and high in iodine (3-5%)

As for corn, it's absolute rubbish! It's only a filler and will pass straight through. It is not a quality ingredient at all.

I feed my 3 year old Bernese Mountain Dog Eagle Pack Large/Giant Breed Adult, but he was raised (as a puppy) on ProPlan Puppy, as by the breeder's recommendations.

I feed my 3 month old Saint Bernard puppy Royal Canin Giant Breed Baby Dog, as by the breeder's recommendations.

My newfoundlands are also raised on Pro Plan them changed to Eagle Pack, Have found some growth issues with Proplan large breed puppy and put the pups on adult Eagle Pack Holistic at about 16 weeks

I feed my Bernese on Eagle Pack Large breed puppy or Nutrience Large breed puppy but I try and feed lots of chicken carcasses and veges as well. Some one I sold a puppy too recently went to the pet shop and was reccommended Bonnie puppy plus a calcium supplement!!!!!! :laugh: I nearly crapped a brick when she told me, get back to the freaking 80's I have forbidden her from ever going there! (she can feed Bonnie if she has to but NOT calcium, bloody idiot at the pet shop)

I dont like Pro Plan at all it stained my food bin and that cant be right!!!!!

Can I just ask what it means long term if a dog is bum high? Our girl (6 month dane X bull mastiff) is defiantely bum high at the moment. Will it pass? Do I need to change her diet or something? Does it indicate that she is growing unevenly? Obviously she ain't no show dog (nor lady) but I want to protect her from joint problems if I can.

Lots of big breeds 'see-saw' as they grow, my first was a shocker.....and I couldnt believe she got refused a challenge all those years ago -till I looked at the pictures about a year ago HA HA!

Being bum high shouldnt affect joints just keep the dog lean. :laugh:

Forgot to add that they should even out as they get older and stop growing!

Edited by *Lolapalooza*