Obedience / Behaviour Training In Brisbane

Hi All

In Feb I was lucky enough to offer a rescue 6 yr old male frenchie a new home. He is everything the breed offers to be... including dominant.

Thru his microchip, I found his original owner (had him from pup) and have worked out a bit of his background. He has come from a house with a staffy and a couple of great danes. Aparently he was shown and was desexed around 4 yrs old. They chose to rehome him due to 'sharing the people' issues with the other dogs. How he ended up a rescue from there is a complicated story.

Basically, he has a problem with dogs a similar size or larger, especially if they are getting attention from his people. I would really like to take him to dog parks and one day add another frenchie to the family... but I'm concerned to do this with his current 'issue'. We would also like to foster with RSPCA etc, but will not consider this if Griff will not be happy.

I'm wondering if this is something I could solve with obedience training or similar.... not sure if behavioural training is available or all that great. :happydance:

I have no desire to stress him out, but would like to work the problem out and hopefully make him a happier, more confident dog.

Any suggestions, info on good reputable trainers is very appreciated.

Cheers

Erin

Hi All

In Feb I was lucky enough to offer a rescue 6 yr old male frenchie a new home. He is everything the breed offers to be... including dominant.

Thru his microchip, I found his original owner (had him from pup) and have worked out a bit of his background. He has come from a house with a staffy and a couple of great danes. Aparently he was shown and was desexed around 4 yrs old. They chose to rehome him due to 'sharing the people' issues with the other dogs. How he ended up a rescue from there is a complicated story.

Basically, he has a problem with dogs a similar size or larger, especially if they are getting attention from his people. I would really like to take him to dog parks and one day add another frenchie to the family... but I'm concerned to do this with his current 'issue'. We would also like to foster with RSPCA etc, but will not consider this if Griff will not be happy.

I'm wondering if this is something I could solve with obedience training or similar.... not sure if behavioural training is available or all that great. :thumbsup:

I have no desire to stress him out, but would like to work the problem out and hopefully make him a happier, more confident dog.

Cheers

Erin

Can't offer you any advice (way out of my league :cheers: ), but just thought I'd "bump" you up in the hope someone else will help.

Good luck with him.

Can you elaborate on his problem ? When you say he has a problem with the larger dogs, is he aggressive, frightened, both ?

I'm not really sure I can. I haven't witnessed the behaviour myself, the rescue person told me she had seen it while in her care.

From what I've been told it is an aggressive thing. It could possibly be an attempt to assert dominance or a jealous thing if the other dog is getting attention over him.

Really hoping it is something I can work through with him.

Ok. I would suggest the very first thing to do is put the dog on a lead and take him for a walk. Take it easy with him while you get to know what his like. Quiet streets, dont let him go near people or other dogs. Its important to train him to heal. You want to be the leader here. This will help the dog feel as though his protected, and his only responsibility is to do as his told, not anything else. The dog will fight you to begin with, but ofcourse dogs dont always know whats good for them :p

Slowly progress from there until, and if, you see the behaviour thier talking about. You may not. Kennel environment can bring out uncharactaristic behaviour. With his new home, under new, firm leadership, slowly exposing him to everything again, he may be fine.

When you know either way, you can take another step from there.

Hi All

I'm wondering if this is something I could solve with obedience training or similar.... not sure if behavioural training is available or all that great. :laugh:

Cheers

Erin

Hi All

I'm wondering if this is something I could solve with obedience training or similar.... not sure if behavioural training is available or all that great. :laugh:

Cheers

Erin

Hi from Bonmedia.

If you live in the Brisbane area, would isuggest you get in touch with Bonnies Dog Obedience. Val Bonney has been training dogs and solving problems for nearly 30 years and is very good at what she does. Phone number is 33002959. Good luck.

Bonmedia.