Dog Peeing In Bed

I thought it would be better to post in here than in General.

My puppy owner is having a problem with his 3 yr old de-sexed ACD bitch Dalilu (pronounced Dolly-Lou) who is peeing in his bed, on the couch or anywhere next to him. He also owns her cousin Earl out of a different litter of mine & Earl is also de-sexed & is coming up for 2.

These two are the most well-behaved ACD's I have seen (other than my own :thumbsup: ) & he adores them but will also discipline them when necessary. They are also exercised 5 times a day :cheers::laugh: Spoilt but not rotten :cheer:

Earl injured his foot about a month ago when Bill, who is 6'4'', stepped on him & of course Bill treated Earl differently for a little while & around the same time, Dali started to pee beside Bill. I have told Bill that I think Dali is just jealous & wants to re-assert her dominance as second in command because she feels slighted that Earl was recieving more attention. Bill doesn't really think he gave Earl more attention but it's a given when one of our pets is hurt to spoil them a little more right?

I suggested to him to start taking Dali outside by herself once a day, she & Bill, for some one on one time. Just the two of them. I always do that for my own dogs anyway so that they ALL get a chance once a day to be with just me. This way she will feel like she's the favoured one again especially as she was the only dog for a year before Earl joined the 2 of them.

Is there anything else I can tell him to do?

Edited by CDM

Step 1 - take her to the vet. It could be a UTI or hormonal incontinence. If she's peeing where she lies, I'd be looking at the latter for a start.

Good plan... I was thinking she ONLY does it when next to him..... but these also may be the ONLY spots she lies down! :thumbsup:

I assume there's nothing medically wrong with her? PF beat me to it - I'd be checking for a UTI or incontinence.

If that comes back all clear, I'd treat her like a puppy in toilet training - out every half an hour to begin with, toilet on command and huge reward - I did that when my Dally took a backward step at 9 months of age and lifted his leg inside (involves a long story and a forgetful OH :thumbsup::cheers: ).

Oh sorry I should have added more :cheers: Too many words to put down :cheer:

Bill is the boss, no if's, and's or butt's. They will respond to him when he just looks at them a certain way. He is still the boss. She just started this when Earl was injured so I'm thinking it's attention getting.

I have also suggested taking her to the vet to rule out a urine infection but it's strange that it came on after Earl was injured. Also he will only allow them on the bed at night to cuddle with. Otherwise their place is the floor cushions & at a command, they will both go to their crates. If he is checking Earl's paw to see how it's coming along, Dali will jump onto the couch & pee.

I will let him know to take her out more often as well as some more training, just the two of them :laugh: And don't get me started on males who "accidentally" raise their legs in the house :thumbsup:

Edited by CDM

Oh sorry I should have added more :thumbsup:

Bill is the boss, no if's, and's or butt's. They will respond to him when he just looks at them a certain way. He is still the boss. She just started this when Earl was injured so I'm thinking it's attention getting.

I have also suggested taking her to the vet to rule out a urine infection but it's strange that it came on after Earl was injured.

Could be coincidence. How old was she when she was desexed?

I should also add that I've seen it in my own dogs once in awhile if they think they're being ignored & for me, I've made sure that they don't think the pack order has changed amongst them & things settle down to normal. It especially happens when I have a litter & they think I'm spending too much time with the momma to be & then the momma after whelping.

Of course they don't dare pee near me, just by the puppy room door :thumbsup:

Thank you so far for all the advice so far though! I'm going to pass everything along to him :cheers:

Edited by CDM

My girl was doing this for a while we got a few opinions and really took notice of all the times it happened and what was happening around her when she was doing this.

It turned out to be a anxiety issue which was just her way of getting use to two house moves in 6 months , she seemed settled and normal and happy in every other way took us a couple of weeks of watching her and trying to catch her out that way we knew she was a bit anxious so we could make a bit more of an effort with her (like taking her for a walk, something fun!) to distract her.

We moved house again about 9 months ago and she did the same thing only twice though but it seemed like her way of telling us she wasn't so sure of the change.

All sorted out now though :)

Thank you

She only seems to do it when Earl is getting attention or to be more specific, when his foot is getting attention :D Which is why this makes me think it's a jealousy issue but I think you're right about the anxiety. She could be getting anxious when she sees Earl getting more "attention" than her which makes her get jealous.

I am just waiting to hear how the vet appointment went :) but I don't know when he'll be home or if he's remembered to charge his cell phone. Which is his only phone of course :rofl:

Have you heard what happened at the vet yet?

Good luck anyway will be interested to see how she goes hopefully it doesn't take much to sort the problem out

Jealousy and anxiety in dogs can cause lots of problems that sometimes aren't so obvious until you take a step back and try and look at the situation differently...

Good luck!

Thank you all for your input & no I'm not being sarcastic. It was appreciated.

She has checked out clear for any urine infections & for the past three days has not pee'd inappropriately. Bill followed everyone's advice including mine & she is back to her normal self. He now takes her out once a day on her own & also works on his leadership status just to make sure. Earl is back to the #3 spot in the household now that his foot has healed too.

Again thank you all, I love DOL :)

Thank you :love:

Love those Dal's....but WAY too much work for me :D

:rofl:

I wanted a challenge :love: They seem to have a similar level of hyperactivity but Dals are very much like: "Well, what's in it for me?"....Dolly was more like: "OK, what can I do now, can I help???" It takes a different approach in training, but I'm getting some lovely work out of Zig now :p I was told many years ago that ACDs have a little Dally in their history - do you think that's true?

I think it's very true since only Dal's & ACD's are born white. I'm not sure what would have brought that on otherwise but it could have been something else I suppose. From what I've read too, it was because of the Dal's that ACD's went from merles to the ticking colour & then the Kelpie blood added the tan points.

It's all interesting :cheers:

He just realized something today that he is also going to change. When Dali brings the ball back his say "Good Girl" which almost sounds like he's saying "Good Earl" who is the other dog. So now he says "Good Dali" so that she knows he means her.

Might be nothing but at least she has stopped peeing in his bed for now :cry: