How To Introduce New Foods Sloooooowly?

I had a short thread on here about a week or so ago asking if raw eggs could cause diarrhoea in a pup, and the general consensus was that ANY new food can cause tummy upsets. (Gave Hudson - 3.5month old Saint Bernard - a raw egg as a treat, that night he had diarrhoea, hence why I asked the question)

Yesterday I gave him a lamb off-cut instead of his breakfast. Again, that's the first time he's had one and AGAIN...he got diarrhoea from it! (Well I assume it was from that anyway, as he didn't eat anything else other than his kibble which he gets every day.)

So do I have a pup with an extra sensitive tummy? Or is this normal for young pups? I have never had this problem before. And if he does have a sensitive tummy, how do I go about introducing things slowly to him? Should I mix a bit of raw egg in with his kibble? Or feed only a small off-cut at first? Or should I not give him these kind of treats at all?

Thanks for any advice :rofl:

Hi ;I personally would only give tiny amounts of new foods & watch for the reaction!!If he continues to get the runs; delete new foods till he is a liitle older ;also add some yogurt with aphidoficus to his meal; about a desert sp @ each feed ;good luck

Sounds like that you have a dog that is reacting to fat.

Egg yolk.....fat

Lamb flap.....fat.

If you have to feed these foods, do it slowly.

A little egg yolk on the dry food.

A small piece of of lamb flap....maybe two of the ribs only and trim off the

excess fat if their is to much. That doesnt mean trim it all off. :)

You may have a dog with a pancreas problem....... so that will mean NO fat in the diet.

Sounds like that you have a dog that is reacting to fat.

Egg yolk.....fat

Lamb flap.....fat.

If you have to feed these foods, do it slowly.

A little egg yolk on the dry food.

A small piece of of lamb flap....maybe two of the ribs only and trim off the

excess fat if their is to much. That doesnt mean trim it all off. :p

You may have a dog with a pancreas problem....... so that will mean NO fat in the diet.

I don't have to feed these foods, I just like giving my boys a treat every now and then :)

How would I find out if he has a pancreas problem? Is a trip to the vet in order? I hope it's nothing serious! :)

Yes, the vet can do tests and tell you.

Before I even thought of that I would just cut down the fat.

See what happens when you introduce the food more slowly.

Some dogs are like some people more touchy than others with some foods.

Try some brisket bones, but just give one small one first. If all goes well give another small one the next day gradually building it up.

You could have also just been unlucky to have offered the two foods that your dog may have a reaction to.

Good Luck.

Cassie

If you are concerned take Hudson to an animal natropath or vet.

Mason was like this anything different in larger amounts upset his tummy.

We remember a few nights with a pup with diarrhea :(

Yucky.

Was when we first got Mason and changed his food slowly.

But as Okaway said it could be the fat we use digestive drops from our animal natropath to help in digestion for pancreas and the stomach for nearly 5 years now.

We do not feed lamb flaps only chicken frames and necks and Chicken mince and Eagle PAC plus other ad ons.

When they have an upset tummy we feed boiled brown rice and boiled chicken thighs and yes yogurt is great our dogs love it.

Every dog is different Delta has not had any problems what so ever so far and she is now 16 weeks.

Cassie email me if you would like any more information.

Our Natropath sells products Australia wide and is fantastic.

Kind Regards

Malisa

post-4863-1207228875_thumb.jpg

Mason at 2.5 years

Thanks for your replies :laugh:

I had to go to work yesterday afternoon. My OH got home while I was out and called me at work to say Hudson looked sick, had I noticed anything? I said he had had diarrhoea again but he didn't really look "sick" to me, and he said well he does look sick now! He was mopey and just laying around and not eating anything, usually he is go go go! And he never turns down food. So without me being able to see him in the flesh (I was still at work) my OH decided it was best to take him to the vet, just in case there was something wrong. The vet gave him a thorough examine, and said he didn't have a temperature so that's good. He actually vomited while at the vet. They gave him an injection, something to stop him vomiting and stop the diarrhoea. They said it was probably just a tummy bug and nothing major to worry about. He is on antibiotics for the next few days. This morning he looks back to his old self again! :( Still slightly runny droppings but not like it was before :laugh:

So possibly these foods I tried him on had nothing to do with it? Not sure, but once he's made a full recovery I will only introduce new things slowly.

Thanks again everyone!