Toilet Trained Pup Peeing In His Bed

MurphysMum

Hi all,

My 16 week old beagle pup has been toilet trained for some time now.

Unfortunately, just the last couple of days he has been peeing inside and has peed twice on his bed!

It has been miserable and rainy, so I'm wondering if it's just been too wet for him to venture out of his doggy door!?!?!

Anyone got any ideas... ??

nothing has changed in his daily routines...

I'm on my way out, so can't type a long response....but at 16 weeks I wouldn't expect any puppy to be fully toilet trained and reliable. Go back to taking pup out regularly and he'll get the idea again. It takes some months until they are completely trustworthy....and no, they don't like going outside in the rain quite often :eek:

I highly doubt that a 4 month old pup is toilet trained. It takes quite a while to fully toilet train a dog, and it sounds as though you are just going through the ups and downs of it. When you think you are making great progress, there is always a back step, so as SD said, go right back to basics and start taking puppy out every hour or so :eek:

I think you just have to be really patient. I've had my 10 week old puppy home for 2 weeks now & I've already washed her bed 5 times :confused: Even though I'm taking her to the toilet frequently. She is a very deep sleeper & seems to do it in her sleep the most. I suppose with time she will probably out grow this ( I hope ) :eek:

My puppy doesn't have any problem with the rain, In fact she seems to actually love it. The last time it rained she just stood there getting wet, with a happy look on her face & didn't really want to come back inside. :D

I agree your pup isnt toilet trained as yet.It is heading in the right direction but at that age you never think its "trained".You must always be in training mode until atleast 10 months.

You need to stick to the basic routine

I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to start one. I just brought home my new puppy this morning and he has just peed on his bed. I thought a dog would never soil his bed, is this just an old wives' tale?

And is that what I was doing wrong, not taking him out every hour? I thought that by leaving the back door open and he knows where it is he would go out by himself when he needed to. I got caught on the phone and couldn't get off for a while and he was trying like anything to get my attention but I thought it was just being in a strange place and all, but could he have been trying to tell me he needed to go? I've never had a puppy before.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was about to start one. I just brought home my new puppy this morning and he has just peed on his bed. I thought a dog would never soil his bed, is this just an old wives' tale?

And is that what I was doing wrong, not taking him out every hour? I thought that by leaving the back door open and he knows where it is he would go out by himself when he needed to. I got caught on the phone and couldn't get off for a while and he was trying like anything to get my attention but I thought it was just being in a strange place and all, but could he have been trying to tell me he needed to go? I've never had a puppy before.

Very likely deerhound lover, he doesn't automatically know what is required in a new situation.

How old is your new baby?

He is only 9 1/2 weeks old, I just brought him home yesterday. I have never had a puppy before, only adult dogs, and I thought he would tell me when he needed to go out. How naive! I realise now after 24 hours that he is just a baby. So I am not saying anything about accidents (there has been 2 solid and 1 liquid so far) I just clean it up and I am trying to take him out more often, then when he does do something in the yard I praise him like anything. Is this right?

Best to take him outside as soon as he wakes up from sleeping, after every meal amd also about every hour if he is running around inside.

Make sure you carefully clean up any accidents so there is not lingering scent to draw him back to the same spot.

Help! I've been following the good advice in this thread and took my puppy outside as soon as he woke up from his nap. However he has now learnt to use the catflap; he rushed straight back in, ran to the bedroom and weed on his bed! What's this about and what do I do?

Help! I've been following the good advice in this thread and took my puppy outside as soon as he woke up from his nap. However he has now learnt to use the catflap; he rushed straight back in, ran to the bedroom and weed on his bed! What's this about and what do I do?

If puppy is still quite young, you've probably fallen for the "he has now learnt to use the catflap" trick :eek: Go back to taking him outside, wait until he toilets (teach a command at the same time), lots of praise and then bring him inside. It's probably much more comfortable for him to wee inside - no bad weather or scary noises :)

If puppy is still quite young, you've probably fallen for the "he has now learnt to use the catflap" trick :eek: Go back to taking him outside, wait until he toilets (teach a command at the same time), lots of praise and then bring him inside. It's probably much more comfortable for him to wee inside - no bad weather or scary noises :)

I agree with with what spotted devil has said.

Would add if there is no way to block the cat flap to stop him running back inside before he has completed his toileting task and been rewarded for it try taking him out side to the toilet on lead still using your command etc.

This can also come in handy later in life if you need him to go while he is on lead and can also be a useful aid in getting a puppy used to the lead.

No, I am still taking him out because although he can now use the catflap to come IN, I have seen no evidence that he can use it to go out! But I will try putting him on the lead, I suppose he should get practice on it anyway before we actually go out anywhere.

I didn't get him a collar because I thought the harness was safer until he has learned not to pull on the lead - is it ok to leave the harness on through the day or do I need to take it on and off every time?