Endurance Test

So who is doing it this year?

In Sydney we only have it once a year and Im planning on doing it with my girl this year.

So I finally got the bike and decided to train. More to train myself than the dog, as Im horribly unfit.

Im pleased to say that we did our first ride yesterday. 7km at a speed of about 12-13km/h.

And Im not suffering today!

Divani was just perfect, never pulled, just trotted right next to the bike all the way, didnt like me turning left into her and got scared first couple of times, but than watched the bike and never made a mistake. All I had to do is say heel and of she went with me.

That is so different to when I trained Rex, the born to pull fruitloop. After I did his ET where I never pedalled and lost my voice yelling HEEL the whole way, I also nearly had my arm put in a sling :laugh:

Any others doing ET this year? have you started training?

Edited by Monelite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10km/h is a bit slow I must say.

Its obviously there for a reason, so I shall train at that, its good that I have a speedo on this bike, I never knew on the old one.

Slow for a doberdog maybe Monika. plenty fast enough for a Mini P. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

sure is for MP.

When I did Rex I had a JRT in front of me, she galloped the whole way!

Passed with flying colours I might add, but yes this dog has put in whole lot more into it than the larger breeds did.

Wonder why its not divided by size into 2 or 3 groups?

Hey Monelite :D

I'm planning on doing it this year with the brown Dobe.... this will be my 4th ET having done it in 2001, 2003 and 2005 :D

Haven't started training yet but the dog won't have any probs with his fitness - he runs non-stop around here all the time, will start training him beside the bike soon... might have to get myself fit though! :laugh:

I want to get an ET with Flame. She was entered last year and I came down with a really nasty flu, so we didnt go.

Now I'm way up north, though, I'll have to check out when Qld does theirs....

EFS

Edited by jbbb

Heya :laugh:

I am planning on entering Raffy this year in NSW, I have taken him for 2 rides so far, the longer one was 16km, the dogs have no problem with the distance but I do :laugh: No more training here for a bit tho as I need to get a bike rack for my car so we can go to the bike track before we do more (rideing on the road even at 6am Saturday mornings with 2 big dogs can be very nervy for me even tho they behaved nicely.) I am also trying to talk my Mum into running her Corgi, I think he would be fine, hes an active little guy but so far no luck talking her into it. Good luck everyone and hopefully see some of you at the test :)

Caslero!!! Yay! Casima!!! Yay!

And yes, the dog has no problem here either, its the handler that needs all the training.

But I must say that after yesterdays little session I have no adverse effects so maybe its not That bad.

We should send the entries together thet way we will be next to each other, we could catch up on all the news from last 3 or so years :(

jbbb you can always come down to Sydney for it.... ;)

Sas what do you mean that Dante doesnt get the concept of the front wheel? Does he run across the front?, or in front of you or what?

Here's a description from DogsNSW of the Endurance Test:

What is an Endurance Test?

An endurance test is an official event run under the rules of the RNSWCC. During the test, dogs are on lead and run 20km over a 2 hour period beside a pushbike.

The dogs have a 15 minute rest break after 8km and a 20 minute rest break after 14km. Stringent veterinary checks are carried out before the start of the test, during each rest break and at the conclusion of the test to ensure the welfare of the dogs. Dogs also undergo a short obedience test before and after the Endurance Test.

Dogs that complete the test to the Judge and veterinarian's satisfaction are awarded their Endurance Test Title, which allows them to use the initials ET after their registered name.

Under the Rules, the Object of an Endurance Test is to demonstrate a dog's ability to work after being subjected to a certain degree of physical strain. Achieving the ET title can be seen as evidence of physical fitness.

If you're interested, here are a couple of "stories" I wrote on two of my ET experiences: :(

2001 Endurance Test

2003 Endurance Test

What sort of obedience level is needed for a dog to compete in an ET test?

It's pretty basic Huski and done on lead.

A group of six or so competitors at a time line up with their dogs sitting in a heel position (you can push their bum in to the sit position). The judge will instruct you all to walk forward..... you move forward with the dog in a heel position for about 5-10 metres, you then about face and place your dog in a sit position (again you can "help" them into position). You then tell the dog to "stay" and walk forward to the end of your lead. The judge will then ask you to "call your dogs". You then call "come" or similar encouragingly and get the dog to come to you eagerly - then get them to sit again.... and that's it!! ;)

The aim is to show that the dog is obviously eager to "work" both before and after strenuous activity.

Don't forget folks that, in order to enter an ET, you need to be an Canine Control member and your dog has to be ANKC registered.

For dogs without an ANKC pedigree, that means you register them as Associates.

Edited for accuracy.

Edited by poodlefan