Raw Green Tripe

HiYa,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy minced raw green tripe? I cant seem to find a distributor anywhere!

I am so jealous when i read the US and UK forums which have tripe available to them in just about every pet shop.

I've tried the canned ziwipeak tripe but my fusspots were not keen on it at all.We want the real stuff,LOL

Any idea's?

Thanks

HiYa,

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy minced raw green tripe? I cant seem to find a distributor anywhere!

I am so jealous when i read the US and UK forums which have tripe available to them in just about every pet shop.

I've tried the canned ziwipeak tripe but my fusspots were not keen on it at all.We want the real stuff,LOL

Any idea's?

Thanks

Can't help but good luck in your search. I had no luck at all finding it a couple of years ago when my dog was sick.

The tripe that you can buy from the butcher is white and bleached and nutritional value is zip compared to raw green tripe. Let me know if you track a supplier down, it is against the law for any place selling meat for human consumption to also have green tripe on the premises which makes it hard to track down :laugh:

The tripe that you can buy from the butcher is white and bleached and nutritional value is zip compared to raw green tripe. Let me know if you track a supplier down, it is against the law for any place selling meat for human consumption to also have green tripe on the premises which makes it hard to track down :hug:

Isn't tripe the stomach lining? So if it's green isn't that just because it's still got all the half digested grass and all that on it? Sorry if that's completely wrong, I've never heard of raw green tripe either! Although I do remember dissecting sheep a few times at school and their stomaches were always full of green goo...

What is it that's so great about it?

Tripe is the edible lining and accompanying content of a ruminant's first or second stomach. Paunch tripe comes from the large first stomach and honeycomb tripe comes from the second. Green tripe means that the tripe has not been cleaned, bleached or scalded. The actual color can be green or almost black in color. It should never be white or almost white. This product has been used in Europe for years by many of the old time breeders.
Green tripe does not necessarily refer to it's color. In this instance it refers to the fact that it has not been touched - not cleaned, not bleached & not scalded. It's actual color is brown, however, sometimes there will be a greenish tint due to the grass or hay the animal ate just before slaughtering.

What are the benefits of green tripe?

Green tripe retains an attractive odor dogs love. This odor is literally “washed away” unless the tripe is green. Benefits for the dog include noticeably better coats, more luster and shine no more flaky skin, richer color, etc. Other breeders rave about how white the dog’s teeth are and the lack or need for dental attention. Most breeders will comment about their better stools and are impressed with their increased vitality and energy levels. Most breeders agree that green tripe is the perfect food for a canine.

What makes green tripe the perfect ingredient?

There are many nutritional benefits from eating green tripe. It contains a very diverse profile of nutrients including enzymes, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, probiotics, and phytonutrients. Green tripe assists your canine in utilizing their food as well, aiding in the digestion process. It can also be used as an appetite stimulator. In cases where dogs refuse to eat their meal it can aid in stimulating the appetite. Diets that do not contain live enzymes put a greater stress on the pancreas and other organs to help to breakdown food.

Why is green tripe so healthy?

Since tripe is taken from cow’s stomachs, they receive nutrients from grasses and grains that have been already processed naturally by the cow's stomach system. Also present within the tripe are naturally occurring gastric juices, amino acids and live enzymes not found in processed or cooked foods. These gastric juices are excellent cleaners for teeth. Amino acids are necessary for proper muscular development. It is also an excellent source of protein, fiber, fat and delivers equal calcium to phosphorus ratios. Green tripe also contains Lactic Acid bacteria, also known as Lactobacillus Acidophilus which is a good intestinal bacteria and a main ingredient in probiotics

source- http://www.thedogbowl.com/PPF/category_ID/0_84/dogbowl.asp

Yes I've read about it too and would love to be able to source it. I pounced on this thread as soon as I saw the title in the hope it was going to tell me where to get it.

I suspect you'd have to do a deal (probably illegal in Australia) with an abbattoir to get it.

Linda

Possibly straight from a knackery, unfortunately its not going to be as fresh as it could be given some animals are dead up to 24 hours before being picked up. Others are condemned and slaughtered there so would be a lot fresher.

Our local knackery does meat and dog bones direct on certain days/times. I would imagine you would need to pay well for it, or know someone in the game.