Advanced House/toilet Training

I have a two year old bitch that is house trained and very clean however I have to watch out for her behaviour that tells me she wants to go outside to pee, etc.

I can't leave the doors open 24/7 as we live in a toad area and the screen doors have to be shut for mozzies during the day.

When she wants to go out she tends to run/frisk around which I know from experience means 'let me out now'.

Is there any way that I could train her to actually come to me or even to bark at the door as her behaviour is OK when I am up and about but not the best when I am asleep.

We have had very few accidents of a night time but I don't mind getting up for her as long as I know, which is hard if I am asleep at the time.

Any suggestions?

Now that would be good - can you tell me how??????

I taught my GSD to ring a bell when he needs to go outside...

First I taught him to ring the bell on command (Clicker training free shapeing worked well)

Then I put it near the door and whenever I thought he needed to go as well as several other times a day I would instruct him to ring the bell, and when he did I then asked him "Benny, do you need to go out?" and immediatly took him outside for a quick sniff/pee. Make sure your bell trips outside are short and not much fun unless she actually does business, then make a fuss and go inside for a treat.

Anyway once you have done that for a few days and shes hopefully caught on, play dumb when she starts to get that needing to go frisk and hopefully she will get desperate and ring the bell herself. If not you might have to give her a more subtle hint for a few trys, then go back to playing dumb again.

Good luck, its a good trick, and works wonders for those members of the family who are less in tune with what the dog is trying to tell you.

Good question Stitch!

I too have a small girl who doesn't really last all night unless she thinks it is too cold to pee. She runs around normally to let me know. To me, then the door etc.

But I am a sound sleeper. Lucky I must be fairly tuned to her. If not she jumps on my head as a last resort.

Don't think I'll do the bell thing as the head landing thing seems to work pretty fast.

But good luck, very ingenious method.

I taught my girl to scratch on the door. Works well, but I have no flyscreen left on my door! Have been thinking about changing her over to a bell for quite a while, but havent actually found a bell to buy yet! Maybe I should install a door bell at paw height! :provoke:

I'm going to watch this thread, as with winter coming keeping the balcony door open is too cold an option. Bells may work, but being in a rental property I'm not sure where I'd hang one.

At present, I have taken to laying down a puppy pee pad right near the door tat leads from our bedroom to the balcony and keeping the door closed. We have accidentally left the door closed once or twice and if a night time accident were to occur, that would be the spot. But the lil rascal has slkept straight through the night the last few days whilst we are trialling this!

I have been looking for a bell for this also, although Im sure it would be chewed on if we put a bell up.. Zoe loves bells.

Currently she just stands at the door and gives me a look and she can hold on overnight... sure beats cleaning up those huge wees...

I have the same problem here with a pup, but the adult dogs only let me know by a look anyway, so I thought it a good idea to teach all of them. Have bought a wireless door bell with a big button off ebay and put it at nose/high five height. They learnt it in about 5 seconds! Here's hoping they remember it during the night!!