Puppy Diet

Kyra

Hey

You're all probably sick to death of these "diet advice" posts but.. :cheer: I was just wondering if you guys could give me a few ideas on what and how much, to feed a 7 week old pup. My previous dog wouldn't touch meat of any kind, tins or fresh so only ever had dry but I'm hoping if I introduce meats to my pup while she's young, she'll take a liking to it. :D I'm after some recommendations on a good dry food and also fresh meat, if I wanted to feed her tins, is there actually a good one out there or are they all full of rubbish? :D

My puppy has Eagle Pack Holistic kibble, my big boy has also had Eagle Pack since he was a puppy. They also have chicken necks, wings, frames, lamb offcuts, brisket bones and raw mince mixed with eggs, cheese, raw veges (finely grated or pulverised in a blender).

Chicken necks are a great way to introduce fresh meat to puppies as they are not too big for them to get their mouth around but also nice and chewy and fun to play with. Good teeth cleaners as well.

Sardines and tuna make good additions to a puppy diet as they are packed full of nutrients.

Find out what the carer is feeding the pups and if you want to make a change, start with what she is feeding, then gradually change to what you want to feed.

Another good brand of kibble is Nutrience. I am currently trying it out on Benson and he loves it and he's looking fabulous. If you want to try a tinned food, Natures Gift is pretty good....maybe keep a few cans as a back up for when you don't have any fresh food for her.

I like to give my dogs a wide variety of food, starting from when they are puppies and introduced a little bit at a time.

Cheers :D Can't say I've ever heard of Eagle Pack, I'll google it now, do you have to order it in from somewhere or is it for sale at pet warehouses?

Her carer is feeding her Pedigree Puppy. I can't say I blame her after seeing all the poor babies she has in her care, otherwise food would cost her an arm and a leg. I'll grab a couple of tins of Natures Gift and a few chicken necks when I pick her up & see how she goes. :D Still browsing different sorts of food so no idea as of yet what dry she'll end up getting..

My dogs are fed on Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance

Organic, And they are doing well on it,They also have raw meat and chicken necks

Opps i should add when there were puppies they were on Royal canin puppy and did well on it also

Edited by SeaMonKeY

My puppy got fed raw mince with mushy rice when she was weaned at the breeders. So that's what she got when I took her home! She wasn't a fan of kibble for another week or so, but she seemed to really like mince. So I slowly introduced Eagle Pack kibble and chicken necks.

I feed tucker time with Eukanuba. chicken necks, (supervise initially) rice, tin of sardines now and again :D cooked chicken. varied diet really but mainly the tucker time and Euk mixed and he is growing well with a lovely coat too.

ETA Ellie is on a similar diet with chicken carcasses and her coat is lovely and shiny too and she is looking good. If I may say so myself :D

Edited by joelle

Can't say I've ever heard of Eagle Pack, I'll google it now, do you have to order it in from somewhere or is it for sale at pet warehouses?

I get it from our local Pet Stock store. I think most of our local pet shops sell it. It's not cheap but you feed a lot less than supermarket foods.

Do puppy a major favour and get her off Pedigree as soon as possible. I was discussing puppy diets with my vet and her opinion is that Pal and Pedigree are a very poor diet for a pup.

I make my own food based on BARF and using guidance fromn Kymythy Schultze's Ultimate diet. My 22 week old has that for breakie, a little bit for lunch an d chook necks or wings for dinner. I have starting adding the odd sardine here and there too. It works out fairly cheap (I need to cost it properly next time I make it) - PM me if you would like the recipe. :laugh: