Herding

hi, does anyone know of places that teach/train hearding around victoria close to melb, i have 2 working b/c and wouldnt mind trying it.

Hi Flip.

Funny I haven't been on DOL for a long time and the first question I see is for me.

I do herding introduction days and training. You can contact me through the Fourpaws website fourpawsk9training.com.au.

We actually have spaces left for this Saturday, May 4th, if you are interested & the weather holds out.

You can also do a 2 day weekend with Working Dog Education - google Beloka Kelpies - in Welshpool.

Talk to you soon I hope.

David.

hi, does anyone know of places that teach/train hearding around victoria close to melb, i have 2 working b/c and wouldnt mind trying it.

Hi Flip.

Funny I haven't been on DOL for a long time and the first question I see is for me.

I do herding introduction days and training. You can contact me through the Fourpaws website fourpawsk9training.com.au.

We actually have spaces left for this Saturday, May 4th, if you are interested & the weather holds out.

You can also do a 2 day weekend with Working Dog Education - google Beloka Kelpies - in Welshpool.

Talk to you soon I hope.

David.

Hi David,

At what age do you suggest starting herding training? I had a look at the website but couldn't find anything .... after 1 or 2 years of age?

I can recommend Herding_Guy's training - I have done it twice with my Aussie. After doing the sessions you are also able to go back and organise some time with sheep on your own or with instruction.

Very grateful for the herding training that allowed me to teach my Aussie to stop as well as have some fun herding! She was not safe off lead on our property due to cows and sheep next door and that second session made it easy to prevent her chasing stock.

At what age do you suggest starting herding training? I had a look at the website but couldn't find anything .... after 1 or 2 years of age?

I start pups ASAP - last lot were 5 weeks old when they first saw sheep.

Teaching starts when the dog tells you he/she is ready.

Some dogs can handle training very young while others need a bit of time.

I've started dogs as early as 8 weeks and as old as 9 years.

Hi Kavik, Clover and Jesomil....you'll be happy to know all is good and Mouse came 5th in his last trial in novice with 81 - and he just turned 2 in March. Hopefully I'll get back on DOL soon but i still have no internet at home.

Cheers, David.

I can recommend Herding_Guy's training - I have done it twice with my Aussie. After doing the sessions you are also able to go back and organise some time with sheep on your own or with instruction.

Very grateful for the herding training that allowed me to teach my Aussie to stop as well as have some fun herding! She was not safe off lead on our property due to cows and sheep next door and that second session made it easy to prevent her chasing stock.

Looking forward to seeing you again....glad to hear she's doing good.

Hi Kavik, Clover and Jesomil....you'll be happy to know all is good and Mouse came 5th in his last trial in novice with 81 - and he just turned 2 in March. Hopefully I'll get back on DOL soon but i still have no internet at home.

Congrats with the trialling, what a clever boy he is. I cant believe your pups have just turned 2!! Time flies.