Need Advice On Addressing Aggression Issue

jamesanddean

Our Golden Retriever is 5 and a half months old and has been been a dream puppy (our first dog) - house trained very early, enjoys time in his crate (including not making a noise until we come to see him in the morning), is affectionate and loves people.

We have had one major issue with him that seems to be getting worse and I do not know how to address it before it spirals out of control. Like any GR he loves to mouth and eat anything he finds in the park or anywhere for that matter! Whenever he is chewing on something he shouldn't be he will run away, or if I manage to get near him he will growl and snap as he knows I want to take it from him. I have been tried a few different approaches whereby I have taken the items from him and then given them back to him to show him that I am not only taking them away, have laid him on his side in a submissive hold and growled back at him, etc.

A few weeks ago he bit and punctured my hand, and last night whilst he was on lead at the park I was trying to retrieve something from his mouth and he went crazy and bit me on the arm which almost required stitches. He may have been going for the lead (as he does sometimes rather than my arm) but this behaviour is unacceptable.

I am lost as to what is the best way to address this issue. He is very good 98% of the time. He has undertaken 4 weeks of puppy preschool and will sit, drop, walk on lead, etc but we are yet to do any further formalised training.

He is being de-sexed later this week so perhaps this may improve these aggressive outbursts?

Should we enrol him into some group training or do you think he needs some personalised training with a dog behaviourist?

I think we may be too affectionate with him (he is not allowed on the bed or couches but we play with him on the floor, etc), and perhaps he doesn't know his place in the pack? I did read somewhere that one way to address this is to remove any affectiona nd attention for a couple of weeks and only giving him attention when he does the right thing. Eventually he will be desperate for attention even if it results in him being in a lower position in the "pack". Does this sound like a good technique?

I never expected he would be obedient all the time (especially at this age) but the aggression has to stop. It is like he is possessed by a demon in these outbursts and it is generally when he is tired.

Please help.......

This is resource guarding. I really don't think requiring physical submission from him when he does it is a good idea.

Given that he's got to the stage of biting you, the only recommendation I would EVER make in such circumstances is to seek the services of a qualified behaviourist. If you tell us where you are, we may be able to recommend someone.

It goes without saying that you should be particularly cautious of him with children and with anyone when he is eating. Are there children in the house?

In the meantime, adopting the NILIF practice (pinned at top of training forum) certainly wouldn't hurt.

Edited by poodlefan

Biting such as this is a very serious problem and no one can advise anything over the net because no one actually knows the dog. If you let us know which state you're in someone will have a recommendation for a qualified behaviourist.

Meanwhile I would be very careful with this dog around other people, especially children.

Thanks for your response. We are in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

There are no children in the house so no threat there. When he plays with other dogs he has a very gentle nature (especially with puppies and smaller dogs) and does not get too rough with them. he also has no issue with me handling his food when he is eating it, or with me being able to put my hand into his mouth at other times eg checking his teeth etc. It just seems to be when he has something in his mouth he shouldn't!

I have looked online and seen dogtech and doglogic and a few other trainers..any recommendations?

I have looked online and seen dogtech and doglogic and a few other trainers..any recommendations?

I wouldn't recommend either of those because they are franchised dog trainers, not behaviourists.

I suggest you go to your vet and get a recommendation for a veterinary behaviourist, or see one of the following:

K9Force (member here) at www.k9force.net or a veterinary behaviorist from this list. I hear good things about Dr Gaille Perry and Dr Kersti Seksel, both of whom are in Sydney.

Edited to sound a bit less short. :o

Edited by poodlefan

I wouldn't recommend either of those because they are franchised dog trainers, not behaviourists.

I suggest you go to your vet and get a recommendation for a veterinary behaviourist, or see one of the following:

K9Force (member here) at www.k9force.net or a veterinary behaviorist from this list. I hear good things about Dr Gaille Perry and Dr Kersti Seksel, both of whom are in Sydney.

Edited to sound a bit less short. :love:

Hi Jamesanddean.

My name is Trudi Thorpe and I along with my business partner Julie Adams, run dogLOGIC dog training. I just thought that I should write to clarify Poodlefans misconception that we are "franchised dog trainers". We have developed dogLOGIC dog training from the ground, neither buying an exsisting business nor a francise. dogLOGIC comprises only of the two of us and both of us have had over 40 years experience between us in training and working with dogs. We are both accredited Delta CGC instructors, who as you may know are leaders in positive reinforcement tecniques. If you would like to discuss your problem with us, please feel free to contact us via our website www.doglogic.com.au or alternatively you may wish to search for other accredited Delta Instructors listed on the Delta web site at www.deltasociety.com.au.

Regards,

Trudi Thorpe

dogLOGIC dog training

www.doglogic.com.au

Ulta Ego

My name is Trudi Thorpe and I along with my business partner Julie Adams, run dogLOGIC dog training. I just thought that I should write to clarify Poodlefans misconception that we are "franchised dog trainers". We have developed dogLOGIC dog training from the ground, neither buying an exsisting business nor a francise. dogLOGIC comprises only of the two of us and both of us have had over 40 years experience between us in training and working with dogs. We are both accredited Delta CGC instructors, who as you may know are leaders in positive reinforcement tecniques. If you would like to discuss your problem with us, please feel free to contact us via our website www.doglogic.com.au or alternatively you may wish to search for other accredited Delta Instructors listed on the Delta web site at www.deltasociety.com.au.

My apologies for the mistake. I still reckon this calls for a behaviorist though.

Ulta Ego

My apologies for the mistake. I still reckon this calls for a behaviorist though.

Poodlefan - last I looked Trudi is well versed with dog behaviour training and tools for dealing with these very problems. What she hasn't stated here is that she is so well regarded that she writes for a magazine on these very issues. If you're looking for positive and consistent long term solutions to these very problems then they're the A team. If you're looking for quick fix solutions or ones that involve gizmos and rather outdated methods then check the 'whisperers' out there.

jamesanddean - your problem (and it is yours and your dog's) is serious and you're doing the right thing in terms of getting this sorted as quickly as possible. Don't worry, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not an oncoming train. Good on you for understanding that this isn't acceptable behaviour on any level.

The good news is that Hunter has been displaying more acceptable behaviours since I posted the original message through positive reinforcement training and preventing getting into these situations. He was desexed yesterday so I will wait a week or two and see how he goes before we take any action.

It was totally out of character for him to behave as he did. I have been focusing on training him to drop/swap things to take a treat and he is now coming to me more regularly when I call him in the park.

As a first time dog owner it is amazing how they change in size and personality on a weekly basis. Some of the things I was concerned about in the early weeks are long gone eg why he would not walk on a lead. He is a well behaved dog, very good with people and other dogs and very affectionate. I will keep an eye on his behaviour over the next couple of weeks and follow up if I see any further behavourial issues.

Thanks for all your advice....it is very much appreciated...and we shouldn't forget the thing all readers and posters on this forum have is that we are here because we love our dogs and want to do what is right for them despite us having different opinions from time to time