Raw Meats And Other Materials

smisch

After much disussion with my teacher and my parents I am designing a cookbook for dogfoods; so far it has a cake, few biscuits but no real meals!

I have ideas but I need to get a few things confirmed by DOLers in the know as well as googling it!

Some of these questions sound dumb but I seriously have never thought of it cos I don't feed my dogs homemade, I mostly feed them veges, commercial biscuits and chicken wings and rice and pasta!

Can you feed a dog Raw mince??

Can you feed a dog cooked mince?

As long as it doesn't contain bones is any cooked meat okay for dogs??

Besides meat whatelse do you feed your dog <not treats>

Thanks!!

Sam

Thanks!!

Sam

not quite sure what you are after but some of the less usual things I feed are......

raw carrot either grated or in chunks (in chunks it is supposed to help clean teeth)

raw grated apple (they loooooooooove this)......they dont mind grated pear either

yoghurt (just started and they are addicted)

egg flip (beat up egg in milk with a tiny dash of honey)

they get sardines (with the oil) a few times a week

chicken necks/wings/frames etc.....

they do tend to love anything made with liver.

raw and cooked mince is ok.......

After much disussion with my teacher and my parents I am designing a cookbook for dogfoods; so far it has a cake, few biscuits but no real meals!

I have ideas but I need to get a few things confirmed by DOLers in the know as well as googling it!

Some of these questions sound dumb but I seriously have never thought of it cos I don't feed my dogs homemade, I mostly feed them veges, commercial biscuits and chicken wings and rice and pasta!

Can you feed a dog Raw mince??

Can you feed a dog cooked mince?

As long as it doesn't contain bones is any cooked meat okay for dogs??

Thanks!!

Sam

Hi Sam :laugh: Good on you for coming up with such a novel idea for an HSC project. I'll answer what I can for you.

Can you feed a dog Raw mince?? Yes

Can you feed a dog cooked mince? Yes

As long as it doesn't contain bones is any cooked meat okay for dogs?? Yes

Besides meat whatelse do you feed your dog <not treats> Any offal (so things like liver, kidney, gibletts, tripe, brain, tongue, etc...), sardines, whole egg (including the shell), table scraps very occasionally (things like left-over veggies).

Hope that helps and good luck with your HSC. :rolleyes:

Hi Sam.

Good on you for doing something out of the square :thumbsup::rofl::rofl:

We feed all raw foods, lamb, beef, chicken and kangaroo, minced or chucnks. A good quality biscuit.

Raw eggs, shell and all. Sardines in oil twice a week, table scraps, bread - wholemeal bread is great for putting a little condition on a slightly built dog.

We give them chicken necks and frames a couple of times a week and alternate them with lamb flaps or necks - never beef bones.

They get yoghurt, veggies, tables scraps, and yes any offal but I am a little cautious with the offal - dont over do it - and anything we eat they eat.

Just be aware of the things dogs CANT have such as onions, chocolate and grapes.

Of course we have Labradors and they eat anything although we have one that wont eat anything with celery in it.

Here's a recipe for ya!

Benson and Dusty's Favourite Dinner.

5kg of raw mince (beef, chicken, roo, lamb or a combination of all).

1kg of grated veges (carrots, zucchini, bok or pak choy, broccoli, parsnip etc).

1kg cooked pumpkin complete with skin and seeds.

8 raw eggs.

500g grated cheese.

3 chicken livers, finely chooped.

3 tablespoons of flaxseed oil.

Optional extras: sardines, tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese, brown rice, oatmeal.

Mix well in large bucket, divide into meal sized portions and freeze.

This is a really good and healthy base diet for a dog. Add meals of good quality kibble, chicken frames, necks, wings, brisket bones etc. and your dog will look fantastic.

wow thanks guys for your support!

thansk for the answers too!!

GayleK thanks for the recipe I may use the basis of it and modify it cos I'm creating most of the recipes from scratch! so far I have made a full on cake!! including icing! hahahha It went down a treat so much that the dog was on the table eating it off the plate!!!

I have a question about your cookbook for dogs. Are you aiming to provide a fully nutritious diet for dogs, or just cute ideas of cooked meals/treats that are not going to harm your dog but are not really for everyday feeding?

I have a question about your cookbook for dogs. Are you aiming to provide a fully nutritious diet for dogs, or just cute ideas of cooked meals/treats that are not going to harm your dog but are not really for everyday feeding?

I'm aiming to provide alternatives to commercial prepared food . So the main meals are goign to be designed so that people can feed it to their dogs everyday if they want and the treats are literally treats. I work at a vet surgury so I have access to resources that not everyone has!

I'm aiming to provide alternatives to commercial prepared food . So the main meals are goign to be designed so that people can feed it to their dogs everyday if they want and the treats are literally treats. I work at a vet surgury so I have access to resources that not everyone has!

So are you going to write about BARF and prey model diets?

Edited by laffi

I don't have any input (sorry!) but I would love to be able to buy a book like this. I know it's for your HSC but are you going to consider publishing? Please let us know when you finish as I am sure many would be interested in the final product :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
I don't have any input (sorry!) but I would love to be able to buy a book like this. I know it's for your HSC but are you going to consider publishing? Please let us know when you finish as I am sure many would be interested in the final product

I will post the recips when I am done with the book! but for now you guys will have to put up with the cover images! the dog in the photo is Agilityoodle's Labradoodle Nina! the wooden Spoon has been paintshopped in! I'm rather proud of my handy work, it took alot of work to make the spoon look like it was there in the picture to begin with hahahaha!

Please voice you opinions!

post-5828-1210563272_thumb.jpg

Here's a recipe for ya!

Benson and Dusty's Favourite Dinner.

5kg of raw mince (beef, chicken, roo, lamb or a combination of all).

1kg of grated veges (carrots, zucchini, bok or pak choy, broccoli, parsnip etc).

1kg cooked pumpkin complete with skin and seeds.

8 raw eggs.

500g grated cheese.

3 chicken livers, finely chooped.

3 tablespoons of flaxseed oil.

Optional extras: sardines, tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese, brown rice, oatmeal.

Mix well in large bucket, divide into meal sized portions and freeze.

This is a really good and healthy base diet for a dog. Add meals of good quality kibble, chicken frames, necks, wings, brisket bones etc. and your dog will look fantastic.

If you're trying for recipes as an alternative for commercial dog food - its not as easy as it sounds.

You need to do a blurb to make people understand that they cant just single one out and use it every day because often this is what people are looking for .They want to choose one and feed that all the time and that makes the risk high that they are either over feeding or under feeding something which will have a long term health problem.

This one for example is lacking as a base diet unless you specifically use chicken pet mince any other will make it deficient in many of the big deal minerals.

This is one I use about once a fortnight.

PORRIDGE MEAL Use rolled oats, quick cooking, soak for an hour or two. Serve at body temperature. 1 Cup oatmeal , 1 or 2 teaspoons , honey, 1 teaspoon olive oil or cod liver oil if it is winter ,1 teaspoon brewers yeast several spoons of minced vegetables prepared from using a juicer to separate pulp from juice and reconstituted. Fresh and dried fruits, apples, pineapple, banana etc.shredded, unsweetened coconut, 1/2 teaspoon kelp powder ,2 whole eggs,a teaspoon of egg shell powder for extra protein. This is a high energy, high fiber, high protein meal which all of the dogs and pups here just really enjoy.

How far do you want to go?

I have some recipes on how to make your own herbal tonics,medicines and salves ,soap for dogs, home made shampoo for dogs, your own flea collars ,herbal pillows pretty well any thing you can think of actually.I also have an article here you can include on common mistakes people make when feeding their dogs home made diets if you wantt to use it as part of your intro or preface.

If its good enough Im happy to include it in our nutrition courses and help you promote it . I think its a great idea.

How far do you want to go?

I have some recipes on how to make your own herbal tonics,medicines and salves ,soap for dogs, home made shampoo for dogs, your own flea collars ,herbal pillows pretty well any thing you can think of actually.I also have an article here you can include on common mistakes people make when feeding their dogs home made diets if you wantt to use it as part of your intro or preface.

If its good enough Im happy to include it in our nutrition courses and help you promote it . I think its a great idea.

Ill be interested if you could share that info anyway!

Sounds like really good ideas and info I can use for my dog!