Toilet Training Attractants....

kaaia

Do they work for potty training? How well? Anyone with experience want to share?

Is putting the drops on every new sheet of newspaper that is put down enough for the puppy to get the idea that is where she/he pees, and you can eventually just stop dropping and nothing changes? I mean, I am encouraging her when I can, but I cant be there 24/7.... so I'm having an 'interesting' time trying to potty train my 13week old puppy.

We just rescued her from someone, and she has some diarrheoa, which I imagine is making it a little more difficult for her to make it to the paper in time.

But peeing and pooing seem to be totally seperate, as well..

Thanks

Hi...

has she been to the vet? puppies with diarrhoea can go downhill quickly.

You can't really toilet train a pup with a tummy problem :hug:

Is she indoors all the time?

(because you're using paper)

never having had a totally indoor pup, I can't help you...

all I would suggest is that she is in a room/pen with the paper or pads up one end..well away from her food and water.

Don't give her the run of more than one room at present...

oh, yes, took her to the vet yesterday - the day after we got her. vet said she is fine besides having some worms, which we are treating, and is probably the cause of the diarrheoa.

and yes, have her restricted to the bathroom for the time being, with dishes and paper at opposite ends of the room. The only way I know to potty train a dog that works is to stick their faces in it.. my dad would rub noses in it then toss em outside. I was just hoping for a more humane way of doing it than resorting to that. :/

Thanks for the concern. :thumbsup:

ermm..I am so glad you are not following your dad's example :thumbsup:

The 'puppy pads' apparently are scented to attract pups..maybe try them?

If you have access outdoors... use it!!

have a look here in the meantime...

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...toilet+training

Do they work for potty training? How well? Anyone with experience want to share?

Is putting the drops on every new sheet of newspaper that is put down enough for the puppy to get the idea that is where she/he pees, and you can eventually just stop dropping and nothing changes? I mean, I am encouraging her when I can, but I cant be there 24/7.... so I'm having an 'interesting' time trying to potty train my 13week old puppy.

We just rescued her from someone, and she has some diarrheoa, which I imagine is making it a little more difficult for her to make it to the paper in time.

But peeing and pooing seem to be totally seperate, as well..

Thanks

Hi, I have a bottle of the stuff and it did not seem to work at all.

I resorted to getting the toilt pad and wiping som of my pup's wee up with it (not heaps justa bit to get the scent on the pad .. this seemed to help as our pup (and apparently most dogs) will go back to where they smell they have gone to the toilet before. Each time I had to change the toileting pad I always put a bit of Noodle's wee on it (just lightly wiped the used pad against the new one) - she then knew where to go when she started sniffing around. Might sound ridiculous methodology but it worked for us. :laugh:

There are other thread's on crate training where I added a photo of the set up we had from 8 weeks to 14 weeks inside .. Noodle is now 5.5 months ... no pen and no problems toileting outside all the time.

When Dante was a puppy I had a 2 x 2 metre run set up on my wooden balcony, I put down puppy pee pads in the corner which was the furtherest away from his bed and food/water and he used them without being trained to do so.

The general thought is that a dog will go as far away from their bedding and food to eliminate so where we popped the pee pads was going to be his desired place to toilet anyhow.

They were scented pads but I can't tell you if that attributed to him using them.

this puppy doesnt seem to care where she went before... heh. The diarrheoa seems to have cleared up, so she has control again.. but she will poop anywhere, not just on the papers. i am disinfecting and vinegaring the floors 1-2 times a day, to no avail.

She will use the paper, mostly, so she's got no aversion to it.. but she'll just as readily use the floor next to it, vinegared or not. Not just next to it tho.. around it, a half meter away from it.. her only restriction seems to be at that end of the room. Since her bed is at the other end.

The drops seem to help a little, only if i use a LOT... (reccommended is 1-2 drops, i need to use a whole dropper full!)

And she seems to have no aversion to stepping in it either. She is a smart dog though, so it shouldnt take too long, once I find an efficient way to get my message across.

Maybe when your puppy was very young with its litter mates, it did not have a choice where to toilet, and had to toilet where it slept.

I have a litter of 11 pups and they go to the toilet as far away from their bed as possible and they are not quite 7 weeks old. They are outside and have an indoor kennel and a small run and they all go to the toilet right at the gate.

So be patient and provide a way for puppy to go to the toilet as far away from her bed and I am sure she will get the idea. Don't get angry at her when she goes 'in the wrong place' but praise like crazy when she goes where you want her to.

Hope this helps. It just takes more time with some puppies.

okies, thanks much. And yes, she was a rescue, the poor thing. She seems to be making an effort though, it's just slow going.. and I am just impatient for my kids.. I want her to be able to come out of the bathroom and play with them!

Thanks again

Peeing and pooping are entirely different ballparks as far as my puppy was concerned. Did maybe two poops inside? From around 8 weeks on the rest were on his pet loo .... wees however took another 6 weeks (until he was 14 weeks) of absolute training. I was in tears one day I was so frustrated and tired! But like magic, one accident free day merges to the next and before you know it they are completely on top of it!

We used attractant on our pet loo and it helped with "getting him interested" in weeing there. I would strongly reccommend if you can afford one, to get a pet loo or a pup head. We have a pet loo at home and a pup head at work (I like the pup head better, I use it with puppy pee pads lining under the grate and it is really clean, my pet loo gets a bit whiffy though). I love my loos so much now that if we moved somewhere with a yard I would still keep it as it keeps the mess to one spot. Watching Timmy at 6am meander around my in-laws huge yard the other (very chilly) morning when we stayed overnight was not my idea of fun!

There is a thread on here where someone made their own. I tried that for the office (Timmy comes to work 5 days a week) but he ate the kitty litter and it seemed to really stink compared with the pet loo and now pup head.

Edited by sjl79

this puppy doesnt seem to care where she went before... heh. The diarrheoa seems to have cleared up, so she has control again.. but she will poop anywhere, not just on the papers. i am disinfecting and vinegaring the floors 1-2 times a day, to no avail.

She will use the paper, mostly, so she's got no aversion to it.. but she'll just as readily use the floor next to it, vinegared or not. Not just next to it tho.. around it, a half meter away from it.. her only restriction seems to be at that end of the room. Since her bed is at the other end.

The drops seem to help a little, only if i use a LOT... (reccommended is 1-2 drops, i need to use a whole dropper full!)

And she seems to have no aversion to stepping in it either. She is a smart dog though, so it shouldnt take too long, once I find an efficient way to get my message across.

Did you puppy come from a petshop? Why I ask is that pet shop puppies can have a terrible time with house breaking because they have been forced to toilet, feed and sleep in the one area.

In addition if your puppy came from a breeder that didn't keep the whelping area clean as well as the kennels then the pup is in the same situation as if it came from a petshop inregards to toileting.

Edited by sas