Puppy Dribbling Heavily

MurphysMum

Hi all, my 5 1/2 month old pup has recently started dribbling really heavy when he goes in the car.

I thought at first that maybe he was getting too hot in his crate?

But now have noticed that he is actually reluctant to get in the car and wondering if the heavy saliva is a result of anxiety?

I've also tried him out of his crate and just harnessed to the seatbelt but still lots of dribble.

Once he is in the car for a few minutes he is fine, gets comfy and usually goes to sleep.

Any ideas?

Your dog is probably suffering motion sickness and is feeling very nauseous.

The only thing I've found that works is metoclopramide from the vet. The human variety of metclopramide is Maxalon.

None of my dogs has suffered car sickness but my son's dog did, quite badly. He would vomit every time they went in the car. He tried ginger calm tablets and gingernut biscuits, junket tablets and nothing worked until he gave the dog Maxolon. The dog had a Maxolon tablet every time he travelled in the car and never had any more problems.

My daughter had a cocker spaniel, that would chronically dribble when riding in the car. She would get out at the other end and you knew she was not feeling well. I don't think she was stressed, just had terrible motion sickness. She never vomited, just dribbled everywhere. She also became very reluctant to get in the car also.

also check the ears - a friends rescue was always very sick looking and didnt like car travel had her ears seen to (had long term infections and were blocked) and regular cleaning and now shes fine with the car - in fact loves it :thumbsup:

My Rex used to be really bad in the car, dribbling everywhere. If he even thought he was going in the car he would start to dribble.

He is now 17 months old and is fine. He hasn't dribbled for a few months, so I think he has just outgrown :cheer:

It is probably a anxiety or feeling car sick that makes him dribble.

If you are really worried get him checked out by a vet.

My vet had said that they normally grow out of it. It has happened in our case and Rex even jumps in the back of the car all excited to go out now :thumbsup:

Orbit used to drool in the car. He never refused to go in, but would drool for the whole trip.

I used to put him in the car and get in with him and just sit and talk for a bit then just get out without actually going anywhere. Then I would take him for a short trip down the road and get out and have a little play, then get back in.

He now waits by the car to be helped in and doesn't drool a drop!

my dog clarince did the same when he was little ,i knew once he started to drool that he was going to be sick, he grew out of it though and is now happy to get into the car himself,and will even jump into friends cars hoping they will take him for a drive :shrug: