Our Labrador Puppy

labmummy

horse food and chicken mince

:rofl:

Is there any bone in that chicken mince? That's not a very balanced diet to raise a youngster on. :rofl:

Being new to having a puppy I wasn't sure myself but guess can only follow what the breeder recommended? Cooby has Coprice Horse Pellets cereal morning and night with raw chicken mince for lunch (the whole carcass is minced). Apparently most commercial dog foods have by-meat products/slush in them whereas the Corprice Horse Pellets are based on rice and rice pollard and fortified with vitamins and minerals. The chicken mince is high in calcium and we also give raw chicken necks as a snack. He seems to be going well on it ..... and it's a huge cost saving compared to the commercial products around :eek:

Dog's don't digest cereals Cooby and their nutrional needs are not the same as horses. I'd be either making a carefully researched home made diet or feeding premium puppy kibble and some chicken pieces. Have a look in the health/nutrition/grooming thread for plenty of info on feeding pups.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess we have both been pretty lucky and bought good pups. We originally put his name down on the register as just 'Harry' but after we got home we thought we should give him a 'proper' name for his papers so with Mal's help we came up with 'Coobyview Jaylock Harrison'. The Jaylock is part of their's dad Monty's registered name and part of their mum Kelly's reg name. He just gets Harry though.

We are feeding him the same diet too and he is going really good with it. We've had alot of raised eyebrows about the Coprice Horse feed though. Mal's dogs all look really good though so we will keep it up. We have also given him some chicken necks which he just loves.

Harry hasn't eaten his own poo yet but has had a go at tasting out cat's :rofl: . Trying to discourage it, really grosses me out.

Would love to see some pictures of Cooby when you get your camera worked out.

Poodlefan - yes we were told to get the whole bird minced up. Harry also gets Coprice soaked and softened in milk and leftover vegies mixed thru with his mince. He seems to be going really well and looks really healthy. Apparently the Coprice for dogs has meat by products in it so we were advised against that.

That's great going with his name! :rofl: Might have to give it some more thoughts ourselves....my pics seem to large to attach so still figuring it out.

Also, not sure if anyone can tell me but we have 10 flights of steps from our back deck to the yard which I carry Cooby up and down for his play/toilet etc. At what age is it safe for lab pups to go up/down stairs themselves without causing any injury on joints/hips etc????

Hey labmummy, have you read "Marley and Me"? It's a must for all dog lovers... so funny and poignant, and really well written. The love this author had for his dog was truly unconditional... lol!

My brother has a lab called Kane who is the perfect boy like your Harry... I have a Marley... her name is Trouble... errr! But I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world...

T.

I think I'm going to buy that book, Marley and Me. Sounds very sweet.

Penny I have just bought that book from ebay. Still waiting for it to arrive in post but it sounds like such a funny read.

I am in love with you puppy, she is just gorgeous. :rofl:

Thank you very much. She is our little angel.

She's getting bigger now, though.

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

He is a gorgeous boy :dropjaw: To be honest we didn't even look at the other pups. I told Mal we were after a yellow male and he sent us the pic of Harry at 3 weeks old. The kids fell in love and that was that. He has done very well with the mating choice of Monty and Kelly as both Harry and Cooby are stunners (bias I know :rolleyes: ).

We are already thinking about when to get our next one :cool: . I would love a black one and a chocolate! Probably crazy I know. Hopefully in a year we will be ready.

Thanks and so is Harry! :rolleyes: Yes, I was also after a yellow one but got outvoted by family. We did go and view Cooby when he was 4 weeks old only because I think I spent too much time researching on the internet about breeders and wanted to reassure myself we were on the right track - which after seeing the older dogs and the litter, I knew it would be all good.

Would also love to add more to the family but think I'll wait and see how we all go with Cooby (and if I'm still sane after a year as the main caretaker) :dropjaw:

How's Harry with the kids? We have a 4 and 6 year old and I'm finding Cooby a little bit nippy but using Mal's advice which seems to be working....

Harry is going really good with the kids but is being a little nippy too so we are doing as Mal said as well. We have five kids aged 11, 8, 6, 2 and 10 months so he gets plenty of loving :offtopic: . Have to watch Harry around our baby but only because he keeps trying to lick his face and gets too excited. Nathan (baby) seems to be getting the knack now of pushing him away which is helping.

After all of the stories I keep hearing about labs, it will be amazing if we are not rocking backwards and forwards in a corner by this time next year :laugh: . Think we will both have our hands full :wave:

Wow!!! Five kids....I take back my feeling I've got my hands full

Don't worry my hands feel very full but their a great bunch :mad

I took Harry into school today for my 8 year DD show and tell. It turns out her teacher was also looking into buying a chocolate pup a while ago from Mal but he didn't have any at the time. The teacher used to play tennis with Mal's Dad. Small world I tell ya. He was commenting on how well bred they are and is just besotted by Harry. He then proceeded to tell me all the trouble they have had with their labradoodle they bought. Chewed up cane outdoor setting, demolished his beloved rose bushes, chewed through his newly put in soaker system set up to the water tank for the garden. Sound like that one takes after the lab side of him! Wonder what trouble our guys will get up to? :mad

I think it was definately a honeymoon period because Harry has had a couple of accidents too. He has stopped whinging at the back door when he needs to go out and now just sits there and looks at me. Basically if I don't see him looking at me, he just pees on the tiles. I read somewhere on here how some people hang a little bell at the dog's level on the door and teach the dog to paw it to let them know it wants out. Will have to go back and find it and give it a go I think.

Harry does really well during the night now. I take him out just before I go to bed and then he is put into the laundry in his crate and we don't hear from him again until about 6.30am. It's either Harry wakes up first and cries to be let out which then wakes our baby or our baby wakes up being noisey which then wakes Harry up :D I must have been crazy to have wanted a baby and a puppy at the same time :love: At least they will grow up close :laugh:

Ok off to save my new cane storage basket from the destructor who seems to have that look in his eye :mad

We have five kids aged 11, 8, 6, 2 and 10 months so he gets plenty of loving :) . Have to watch Harry around our baby but only because he keeps trying to lick his face and gets too excited. Nathan (baby) seems to be getting the knack now of pushing him away which is helping.

Hi,

I've read that if you put cream cheese or peanut butter on your babies feet the dog will be drawn to the treat on the babies feet, and will lick their feet rather than their face. Then apparently the dog accociates babies feet as something that might have a reward, and will greet tend to greet any baby at their feet, it said it can also help with a pup that jumps on babies.

I'm going to try it with my nephew and our lab pup that we get next week, as I'd hate for my nephew to get a nip or pushed over on cement.

We have five kids aged 11, 8, 6, 2 and 10 months so he gets plenty of loving :thumbsup: . Have to watch Harry around our baby but only because he keeps trying to lick his face and gets too excited. Nathan (baby) seems to be getting the knack now of pushing him away which is helping.

Hi,

I've read that if you put cream cheese or peanut butter on your babies feet the dog will be drawn to the treat on the babies feet, and will lick their feet rather than their face. Then apparently the dog accociates babies feet as something that might have a reward, and will greet tend to greet any baby at their feet, it said it can also help with a pup that jumps on babies.

I'm going to try it with my nephew and our lab pup that we get next week, as I'd hate for my nephew to get a nip or pushed over on cement.

Have never heard of that before, our baby is very tickolish (sp) so would be funny to see his reaction. Let me know how it goes with your nephew and I might give it a try. Over the weekend Harry seems to be getting much better with Nathan (our baby). Nathan now will point at Harry and say uh uh which is just so cute. The funny thing is though that Harry listens to him and walks away :laugh:

Try the bell at the back door so Harry can let you know he wants to go out. Eventually though he will learn to come and get you and go back to the door.

Hang the bell near the door, sit him down, take his paw and tap the bell so it rings. As soon as the bell rings, bridge and reward =- 'Yes good dog" etc and give him his treat. Do that a couple of times each time you take him out to toilet.

The very first time he does it himself make sure you make a big fuss of his achievement, reward him straight away and then take him out to toilet. As soon as he has toileted, bridge and reward again - "yes, good boy" and then his treat.

Its all about association - I make this noise I get a treat - I go out and pee I get a treat.

I want the treat I do this task.

Labradors are so easy to train becasue they are so food orientated.

have fun

Thanks for the idea Mercedes, that's excellent. Have just put bell on my to do list for tomorrow's shopping. :D

Let me know how you go with this labmummy as I may give it a go with our Daphne too. Although she'll probably just try to eat the bell!! :D

Thanks for the idea Mercedes, that's excellent. Have just put bell on my to do list for tomorrow's shopping. :eek:

Let me know how you go with this labmummy as I may give it a go with our Daphne too. Although she'll probably just try to eat the bell!! :clap:

Don't worry, I'm sure our bell will end up with teeth marks too :clap: like the corners of my coffee table :D . Little monkey must have had a bit of a nibble when I wasn't looking :clap: