Walking A Puppy

Hope I'm in the write forum for this.

I'm finding conflicting advice on the web about walking a puppy. I'm not a particularly athletic person, and am taking my 4 1/2 month old Aussie Terrier pup for about a 30-40 minute walk every couple of days (the goal is daily, but you know how it goes). He's keen for more at the end, but I want to make sure I'm not damaging his developing joints.

Any advice appreciated.

I would think that that amount is too much for a little pup

I would be aiming for 15-120 minutes a few times a week, some training on the other days and play time int he back yard or at the park

I would be aiming for 15-120 minutes a few times a week, some training on the other days and play time int he back yard or at the park

I'm interested in this too. Flava did you really mean 15 - 120 minutes? That would be 2 hours, or is that a misprint? I'm guessing you meant 15 - 20?

Hi there, i think 15, max 20 mins is ample for a youngster. If he's still energetic then as someone said, some backyard playing would be better. Alternatively if he's really restless maybe 10 mins morn and night would be better.

Training's a great way to make pup tired without overexercising.

Just the basics like "sit", "drop" etc. for only 5 minutes at a time (pups have short attention spans).

You'll find a bit of conflicting advice.

Overexercising tends to be more of a problem in larger breeds because they are more prone to problems like hip dysplasia (has both an inherited and environmental component).

What does you breeder say?

I'm interested in this too. Flava did you really mean 15 - 120 minutes? That would be 2 hours, or is that a misprint? I'm guessing you meant 15 - 20?

Yep i meant 15-20 minutes :rolleyes:

Daire gets walked 3 or 4 times a week for about 20 minutes, he gets lots of offlead play aswell

I am curious about this too. I have a 5 month old Lab who is a ball of energy and without at least a 30 mins walk every morning he rips our yard to shreads (even with another dog to play with and playing fetch) we usally take him for a 30-40 min off lead walk with our other dog in the afternoon three times a week as well (Other dog does not require as much exercise and playing with him gives her plenty). I am always concerned that I am over exercising him in terms of joint problems but he never seems tierd or sore after a walk.

I am curious about this too. I have a 5 month old Lab who is a ball of energy and without at least a 30 mins walk every morning he rips our yard to shreads (even with another dog to play with and playing fetch) we usally take him for a 30-40 min off lead walk with our other dog in the afternoon three times a week as well (Other dog does not require as much exercise and playing with him gives her plenty). I am always concerned that I am over exercising him in terms of joint problems but he never seems tierd or sore after a walk.

You can easily substitute half the walk time for some serious obedience and brain work - after a gallop on the beach my Dally snoozes for an hour before being ready to go again. Half an hour of training at the park leaves him completely exhausted and ready to sleep the day away :rolleyes: Rather than playing "fetch" I like to play "hide and seek" with different toys in the house (I put Zig in the hallway, show him the toy, then make him wait while I hide it - he luuuurves soft, squeaky toys and this is a good way to let him play with them without destroying them). Also try some clicker training ("touch" with the nose, "punch" with the paw, some shaping etc etc), basic obedience - heeling, sits, downs, stands, recalls etc.