Old Dog

I have a 11yrs old large breed dog Desexed, vaccinated, wormed etc

He is currently on pentosan injections, has anyone used them before if so did you get good results/ no noticeable difference?

Edited by storm

That's also know as cartophen isn't it??? If so, then the stuff was fabulous in the early to mid stages of arthritis in my late Cougar - and I still found that over winter it didn't seem quite as effective (cold weather??) so rugged him up and kept him inside with the heating a lot more often. He was on it for a few years and it really bought a new life to him. It didn't work when the arthitis got really bad though - that's when we sent him off to the bridge :cooldance:

ETA: It took a few doses to start working though at the beginning of the course.

Edited by ChelseasMum

I"ve used Pentosan now on three dogs, two currently. I've noticed a difference in all. My current old Dane just had her 6 weekly shot, and you can definitely see the difference. Our little terrier too is also on it, to great advantage. Its also used in horses.

The injections are Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium, they have four one weekly shots then one every 6 weeks as a maintenance. Costly I know, but effective. I use cartrophen also, so they are different. Hope it works for your old boy.

Pentosan & Cartrophen are exactly the same

My vet also uses pentosan and my dogs have responded extremely well to them.

The vet also prescribed pentosan equine for my horses, and he told me it was a different strength to the dog one.

We refer to it as liquid gold as it makes such a huge difference in our old dogs!

Thanks everyone, he has had 2 injections so far and I admit I dont see much difference at this stage.

I will continue with it for a while longer hopefully it will start to help soon.

Hes a gorgeous old chook