Weight Gain

I have a male yorkie that needs to gain some weight

He weight 1.4kilos and you can feel his spine, he has been vet checked and blood work done but everything comes back as normal.

He doesn't seem to have a big appetite, I have also been giving him nutigel and satin balls for the last week but there is no noticeable difference.

He has been wormed regularly but I cant keep weight on him. He is nearly 12 months old.

Any suggestions as my other yorkies are getting quite chubby eating his left overs. He wont eat if he is by himself

Since he broke his leg a few months ago he has no real coat growth either. I asked for a complete blood work up that did thyroid, diabetes, some other rarer conditions. Addison even throe it effect females more then males

Pancreatitis, etc.

Just don't know what to do for him, maybe he is to be the twiggy of the dog world

Hmmm - sounds like an interesting puzzle.

I would put in a phone call to the vet and see what they can recommend food wise (as long as it isn't the Hills Science Diet - every time i go in they recommend it for my dog grrr) - they might be able to recommend some supplements or some tasty treats the dog would eat on his own (zero's favourite is beef mince).

The coat growth could be because of the weight loss but again, I would be checking to be sure. If all else fails - a second opinion could be a good start.

My female pug was a picky eater when she was little. I got to the point of spoon feeding her. Now she is a little piggy.

Have you tried any chicken necks, minced meats, sardines, yoghurt, chicken breasts cooked? Maybe the puppy mince, that is chicken bones that has been minced, would be a good idea for your boy as it has the bone in it for the calcium which he might need after his leg break.

When I have a new rescue pug here I often find they are rather tentative to eat to start off with and will often sit with them and actually hand feed, I feed a BARF diet, after a few days they are little piggies like my two.

Can you sit with your boy and not let the others eat his food? I know others will say not to hand feed but maybe you should to start off with and if he doesn't eat all of his food take it away and offer it to him later.

should have been clearer, sorry folks, I added satin balls/ nutrigel as a extra to his normal food.

I feed chicken wings, necks, frames, lamp flaps, chicken mince from the chicken shop, dog roll, lamb shanks, osso bones, mince, diced beef, boiled eggs every now and then, cheese, yoghurt, along with veggie mix and oils following barf. Yorkie dry food made especially for Yorkies

The only thing my dogs dont eat is pal tinned food or any other tinned food.

Even roast chicken he will only take a very small piece and then leave it.

I have checked his teeth but will get them looked at again in case there is a problem there that I cant see

Have you tried not feeding him near the other dogs? Maybe feed him seperatley and offer him his food on your hand with your hand getting progressivley lower to the food bowl each time. He really sounds like my girl when she was being a picky eater.

Also another thought. Maybe he doesn't like his food bowl. What are you feeding him out of. Maybe it is to deep or he sees his reflection in it.

Have you tried not feeding him near the other dogs? Maybe feed him seperatley and offer him his food on your hand with your hand getting progressivley lower to the food bowl each time. He really sounds like my girl when she was being a picky eater.

Also another thought. Maybe he doesn't like his food bowl. What are you feeding him out of. Maybe it is to deep or he sees his reflection in it.

He wont eat if the other yorkie isnt with him. The food bowls vary daily, none are metal throe all are swallow and plastic.

Even tried paper plate, human plate, garden planter base.

I will try feeding him with the other yorkie but with a barrier between them so they can still see each other

I hope he is just going though a picky eater stage

I just worry as he is so tiny and cant afford to loose any more weight

Thinking back it has become worst since the cats have started to stalk him and bashed him up :thumbsup::)

Stupid me that would be the problem

Edited by storm

Sounds like he is being submissive, with the talk of your cats, and only having a little to eat and leaving the rest so the others can have it and so he doesn't get bashed up.

The barrier sounds like a great idea between him and the others. Sit on the ground with him and encourage him to eat to improve his confidence.

Lots of rescues I have are not overly confident, very submissive and timid, to start off with, when it comes to eating, but after some hand feeding and encouragement they come around.

I always supervise dinner time and mine know that they are not allowed to check out the other dogs food bowls. I use a water spray bottle to enforce this sometimes if there are new kids on the block.