When Will She Stop Growing?

Justchillin

Hi all

Missy who I rescued last week is 1 year and 1 month old and at present she is no where near a normal size for a lab or Kelpie and I was wondering if she might hit a growth spurt soon, has she already and if she has a gradual size gain how long is this expected to last?

Cheers

Ben

Hi all

Missy who I rescued last week is 1 year and 1 month old and at present she is no where near a normal size for a lab or Kelpie and I was wondering if she might hit a growth spurt soon, has she already and if she has a gradual size gain how long is this expected to last?

Cheers

Ben

Hi LR,

At over 12 months of age, she should be her maximum height already. She may have a little bit of growth yet but it would be unusual. Maybe she's not a Lab/Kelpie cross?

Hi all

Cheers

Ben

Hi LR,

At over 12 months of age, she should be her maximum height already. She may have a little bit of growth yet but it would be unusual. Maybe she's not a Lab/Kelpie cross?

I definately see lab , I'm not really familar with kelpie dogs, I have done some searches since I got her to see if she's like one but yeah I'm just not really sure. Her head definately apart from the ears looks lab, possibly some Staffy to maybe? it's just her back half, although I know will fill out with time with better feeding, doesn't really remind me of lab or kelpie.

Hi all

Cheers

Ben

Hi LR,

I definately see lab , I'm not really familar with kelpie dogs, I have done some searches since I got her to see if she's like one but yeah I'm just not really sure. Her head definately apart from the ears looks lab, possibly some Staffy to maybe? it's just her back half, although I know will fill out with time with better feeding, doesn't really remind me of lab or kelpie.

Can you post a pic?

Well I found out after reading the papers that she's actually 2 years and 1 month old not 1 year and 1 month old which was stated..... I don't think she'll be growing much more but I'm sure after a few months of proprer feeding she'll fill out.

Ben

She might just be a skinny dog naturally.

My 18 month old rescue staffy x seems to be getting more streamlined the older she gets and she is seemingly crossed with kelpie.

Actually i had a look at your pictures in rescue and if anything missy isn't as skinny as my girl- my girl is very muscular but doesnt seem to be filling out at all.

We call her the supermodel of staffies!

Its really only guesswork with rescue pups isnt it?

Mine, we were certain is cross kelpie, but sometimes I wonder if she has whippet due to her shape, but then she gets that chocolate kelpie glow...

and who knows??

Could be all of the above- as with Missy (who I must say does have a bit of a staffy shape to her head, hmmm).

I have 3 pure bred bitches:

A kelpie who is around 15 inches and two sheltie bitches one who is 15 inches the other who is 13 inches

Who knows what happens in relation to size as long as they are happy and healthy i wouldn't really worry just remember good things come in small packages.

have you been looking at working kelpies aswell as show kelpies some look very different from each other ,my mother in-law owns a kelpie and he is very slim line in the back end area.

in the pic of missy running with lucy i do see kelpie in her.

She came through me from as a surrender. She was from a local person and is definitely Lab x Kelpie. We get many of this cross and BC x Lab in this area as many people have Labs here including farms as people here traditionly did a lot of duck humting although that seldom happens anymore.

Edited by pikespooches

With Labs, there has been generations and generations of BYB, to the point where I've heard people refer to Labs as "Australian Lab" and "English Lab" :rolleyes: "English Labs" being Pure Bred Labs,

"Australian Labs" are the BYB lines, most people are shocked to see a Pure Lab and how short and stocky they are compared to the much taller leaner versions on the BYB's

Looking at her pic in your sig, you say she has a Lab head, to me, it's an 'Aussie Lab' head not a Pure Lab :laugh:

Missy may have taken on the leaner version of the Labs and the height of the Kelpie.

We have a dog come into the kennels, she was a rescue, she was taken as a 'pure' Black Lab and the average Joe Blow would believe it too, as an 'Aussie Lab' (a bit taller and a bit leaner) but she doesn't have a Lab 'voice' (yeah I know that sounds silly, but her bark was the first thing I noticed that was different) and when she is in the sunlight, and only in the direct sunlight you can see it, it is faint, but she has brindle points.